Quote Originally Posted by urbanophile View Post
But something like a 21st century Burnham Plan is really needed for most of our Midwest cities.
Truly, this is what Detroit needs. In addition to political will, wealthy individuals who care enough to do the right thing [[attention Matted Moron), and politicians who know they will be held accountable if they refuse to do the public's business.

With the amazing architecture Detroit has, there is really no excuse for the condition of the city. No excuses for stripping vacant buildings, no excuses for not stepping up to the plate and bringing forward a vision for planning and development that is realistic and has a chance of working.

Any sane individual knows demolition of MCD and other historically significant structures will only add to Detroit's demise. The costs are simply not dollars and cents, and all too often we've allowed the bean counters to run the show, and haven't put the aesthetic police in charge enough.

I knew when I was a kid that demolishing Rose Terrace, the Dodge mansion in Grosse Pointe was a mistake- the adults around me said there were no servants to take care of it anymore, and taxes were too high for anyone to pay, not to mention the upkeep. No one tried to think of institutional or business purposes creatively that would have saved this treasure from being replaced with seedy tract housing.

It was the wrong decision then, it's the wrong decision now.

And we are the worse off for it.

Funny how in Europe it isn't even a bare consideration to destroy the built environment for new structures. Everything is re-used. If McDonald's wants to open there, it may be in a 17th century building. They are not allowed to clear land for acres of parking and throw-away structures. It wouldn't even be considered.

The mentality of the people has to change.

There is a value to preservation above and beyond the tax incentives and the accounting.

Sadly, if it hadn't been for tax incentives among other considerations, buildings like the Book Cadillac would never have been restored.

People in this country need to wrap their minds around the value of retaining the built environment, above and beyond any and all other considerations, and what it means to continuity with the past.

In many ways, it would have kept people from leaving Detroit and Michigan if buildings weren't treated as disposable.

If I could look forward to shopping at a downtown Hudson's, ride a streetcar instead of a bus, live in the neighborhood my family raised me in, I probably would have stayed. I think you'd find many others would have done the same.

Even now, in middle-age, I have bought a home locally, though live out of state. My hard work and my industry would have benefitted Detroit all these years had people thought it was worth saving, beginning by respecting the built environment.

It really disgusts me sometimes that we're still fighting socially retarded mind-sets at this late date when other cities look at us like we're from another planet and it makes me sick.