Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
One more comment. Lorax wrote, speaking of international [["foreign" is so pejorative these days) investors, "Often these investors don't realize there is no police protection for their properties..."

Lorax, count New Yorkers among your international newbies here. Your Professor comes to Detroit from the wilds of New York, and never heard of a case in his entire life where a felony is committed and the police make absolutely no effort to investigate it. Came to Detroit, and it happened to me personally, twice. Absolutely fucking astonishing.

In Nueva York, if [[say) somebody breaks into your apartment and steals all your stuff, the local gendarmes at least pretend to be interested and to investigate the crime. I was stunned at the response I got the first time my car was stolen [[yep, kids, the first time), which can be summarized as: you expect us to do something about it? Then the first home invasion, second car theft, second home invasion, and so forth. [[Now, granted, the police did pretend to investigate the second home invasion; they felt sorry for Mr. and Mrs. Prof since it was our second home invasion in a six-week period.)

All I have ever seen of police, they're handing out traffic tickets. Not sure why to bother having a police department at all, if that's all they do. I can find people who'd be willing to give out traffic citations for a lot less than you have to pay a police officer. If there are any DPD on the blog, I'd be happy to hear rebuttals.
Wow! Reading your post made my heart ache for you and your wife. 2 home invasions?!!! I'd move out that same night. I'm happy you and yours are okay. Did they just kick the door in, or did they follow you in? If it's too personal you don't have to tell me.