Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Paging Gazhekwe

Threaded View

Yes. Dean was one of my mentors as I got started in college, and later when I began my career. He was a strong man and was truly missed when he move back home.

There were a bunch of them, strong men with a true sense of purpose in helping young people learn and progress in the workings of the modern world. Dean, Harry Command, Russ Wright, Maynard Kennedy, all worked various ways within the system and outside of it. Fred Boyd was an expert at biting at the heels of officialdom. I used to call him a wedge. He would drive a breach and more temperate voices could come in behind and negotiate. John Muse, Esther Mays, the Antoines, the Dockstaders, most have walked on, but those they mentored are now trying to fill those big moccasins and mentor others to follow. One of the Georges is now Executive Director at the North American Indian Association of Detroit. I am not sure if she is a daughter, granddaughter or in law. I've never managed to catch her standing still in one place with time to talk.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-07-09 at 01:58 PM.