Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 159 of 432 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 169 209 259 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 10776

Thread: Garwood Mansion

Boy there's a few desperados lookin for trouble....

HEY ! ! ! It's the week end.....Every body's workin for the weekend........get out there and let your wiggle waggle....let your ricky ticky.....and Bop till you drop.....this is suppose to be the end of summer weekend, so make something out of it...
    But be safe and smart....and if you can...Burn a big one for the ol FOG....Dgrrl....hope you new job doesn't have you working this weekend......Everyone, have a great weekend and don't forget to GDGT....and throw a good thought Kendras way...........Luvs y'all

Well.....it's Labor Day, so enjoy the long week end, and if your calender, or anything else, tells you it's the end of Summer, then why am I suffering in high 90 degrees heat and miserable humidity, day in-day out, 75-80 degrees at 11:00pm........and there's no end in sight. End of Summer my ass!!

BUT...........air fares should start dropping.

Well Gang, it looks like I may be back on board. The DY sign in actually accepted my password and ID. This may be a first. For the last few months I had to use some pretty devious and extreme methods to post here. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I've seen Lowell a few times lately, but didn't want to bug him with DY stuff when we were all trying to hang and mellow.

DK, you left Cafe Habana around 12A? I left around 11P. I saw you shaking a leg with those cute, young things. Especially that skinny one in the blue dress and white flip flops you were teaching the salsa, rhumba, flamenco, or whatever it was. Good thing we didn't have a dance contest at the Gar Wood reunion, you would've won it, hands down. Ha! Yeah, it was hopping in there allright.

PS: DK, how do those girls dance wearing flip flops?

I did something extremely cool today - by accident. I sat in on the Hank Jones interview by Buddy Budsen at the Jazz Fest. He was in the tent on Larned Street, just off of Woodward, at 4:45 PM, for about an hour. About 50 -60 people were in attendance. I moved around, sitting and standing at various places, at one point about 15 feet from him. They must've thought I was a journalist - I was scribbling notes furiously, as he spoke. He's so humorous. I'll tell a couple quick stories. Jones said he considers Art Tatum as one of the dieties, immortals of music. He believes Tatum belongs in a class all by himself. He also said no one ever approached Art Tatum for technique. Jones was the staff pianist at CBS for 17 years from 1959 through 1975. He worked with Ed Sullivan, Jackie Gleason, Barbara Streisand, Jackie Mason and way too many others to mention. He said Gary Moore was his favorite host and he enjoyed Jackie Gleason. He also said, laughing, he enjoyed the dogs and elephants an awful lot. He told of recording with a group from Mali, Africa in 1995, who played traditional Mali music. When they started, Jones asked them, "where's the music?" They replied, "what music?". As it turns out they don't read music, they play by ear. He said it took a while, but he picked up on it. It was very cool being there for the interview. I set a few main goals for the festival : see the Hank Jones Trio [[Jones, Carl Allen and George Mraz), Chick Corea with Stanley Clarke and Lenny White and Gerald Wilson's Jazz Orchestra, premiering his new compositions from his soon to be released CD, 'Detroit'. I missed Jone's Trio because I had to be in Hamtown for business. Made it back to see Corea but the crowd was way too big to enjoy the music and show. Wilson is up on sunday afternoon.

Keep it rockin', 1kd. Love the African encounter.

Stone, too bad you can't be here, you'd be groovin to the max on all of this music. This is the times of our lives when we don't need nothin' - but the music!

Hello eveyone
    Thank you all for your good wishes and thoughts this week. I just returned from my brother's memorial. It was quite touching - over 300 people came. He had an honor guard [[he served in the airforce for 8 years and the air national guard for many more - he was also a vietnam vet). I gave the eulogy and held it together until I heard taps. That got everyone.

I have a question for you military experts. What determines the number of shots fired at a service like this? For my brother they shot 3 guns four times. So it was a 12 gun salute.

I really do appreciate all the lovely notes you sent. And Larry, your phone call meant so much to me. You all made me feel better over a very sad few days.

Bruce says Hello to all of you.

I dont know what the hell is going on. Whenever I read this thread I get all "gushed up" [[vaclimped) thinking about all of you. My heart seems to flow and ebb with the thoughts expressed here and the love that comes from this Garwood establishment. In some kind of way we are all, I mean all of us, homeless. We lost our wonderful home on the Detroit River but we still have the most important part of it.....each other. I am so grateful to have known each and everyone of you. I cant even express how much you all mean to me. Kendra you are in all of our hearts. Ruth you will just have to "weather this storm" difficult as that may seem to you now. Praise God for her strength and wisdom. Please to everyone have a great Labor Day weekend --good to have dttgrl back in cyberspace where she belongs with the rest of us. Jeep wish there was more I could do to get air time. Stone I am most proud of you and always get a hoot out of hearing from you. Keep the faith everyone and try to figure where the next reunion is gonna be .Meantime......www.collierpics.blogspot.com

Ruth.....welcome back. Taps will do it to the strongest of men. Four simple musical notes with more power than anything I've ever heard. Your question about the number of shots fired at a funeral/memorial service has me a little perplexed. [[not a hard thing to imagine) Anyone who is entitled to a military funeral [[generally anyone who dies on active duty, honorably discharged veterans, and military retirees) are entitled to 3,” Rifle Volleys”, [[rifles firing blanks into the air 3 times). This is not a 21-gun salute, nor any other type of "gun salute". They are properly referred to as, “Rifle Volleys”. The “Rifle Volleys” at a funeral are subject to the availability of honor guard teams and the firing team can consist of any number, but one usually sees a team of 8, with a noncommissioned officer in charge. Official protocol requires 21 Rifle Volleys for veterans with the rank of Colonel or above. There is no designated number for other veterans.....up to and including 21 volleys. The odd thing in your question is that all salutes are presented in odd numbers. In other words, anywhere from 3 to 21 volleys at odd numbered intervals. Never the less, I, and I'm sure other veterans on this thread, are grateful for your brother's service to this country, and the triangle flag [[I presume you were given) is a treasure. God bless.
    Last edited by stnfrnt; September-05-09 at 12:35 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE4ouHQNf34
    Larry... Thanks for the thoughtful youtube...I knew you pickers would love this vid. quality is not that good but Doyle took over the whole service at our church last sunday...WoW...next week .This is a big weekend for us to spend playing with the kids and relaxing before school next thursday.. took the bikes down to Belle Isle last sunday and spent the day nice...Will be back in full force then...xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxoxo

Hello Stnfrnt and all

I also heard from Gash who gave me the info on the three rifle volleys I did have it wrong - there were three shots not four. So now it all makes sense to me. The flag went to my brother's wife. She and my brother's sons already have a triangle box prepared for it. My brother's proudest memories were of his time in the service.

Now, it's time to get on with things.....................

Hi Ruthie, Glad your back home,I will call you.

OH what a night:Attachment 2964

Uhhhh...............yo! Detroit!
    Don't do it!

Attachment 2972
    Last edited by stnfrnt; January-09-10 at 09:29 PM.

1KD you're too kind. I do my best! I'll look for you next week! Salute to Ruth's brother for his service.

The 2nd Amendment gang is having a big BBQ out in the parking lot today. Charlton Heston movies all day long in the Day Room too. I think I'll go sailing.

Last edited by stnfrnt; November-22-09 at 10:04 PM.

Great Stuff Stone..hahahha... Kim and I am Having a East Coast Boil...Crab,Shrimp,Mussels,Clams,Crawdads,Corn ,Potato,Brussel Sprouts..Steamed in White Wine...Joined the Kendra Updates...Poor kid going thru the Mill...Good Vibes going that way...Peace to all F.O.G...Listening to the Beatles Collection all day...Seems Appropriate

Going to a meeting.

Didn't make it to my meeting. There was a car wreck right in front of me at the bus stop, so I had to stick around and give an "eye witness account" to the cops. I have no life!

Hey Stnft....Sorry you missed your meeting....keep plugging away....

Well here we go....another week...hope y'all had a great weekend.....sounds like Whaler got his "Rock n Roll" on with a good ol New England Boil.....

9-9-09...for all you Beatles fans...Been a good summer for music with Woodstock anniversary and now Beatles, Jeeps CD release, lots of neat stuff....Keith Urban and Vince Gill doing a benefit show, for the Country Music Hall of Fame, with lots of others joining in.....Tickets were gone before I could log on to get one....Oh well, it will probalbly be on T.V. as a special....Still like to have been there for that one.....

Well gang....Let's get this thing going...get out there and have a ball this week and keep trying to come up with ideas for the next get together.....If we want it, we can do it.....
    Go Do Great Things.........Luvs ya bunches

All of a sudden parents were finding out they had kids they forgot they had.

Attachment 2977
    Last edited by stnfrnt; November-22-09 at 10:03 PM.

Everyone:

I haven't posted in a while. We have been busy getting Kendra better. She finished her last chemo at the end of August. We were home for a few days, then the side effects set in. we have been back at UCLA for the last 8 days. She was really sick. she is now feeling better and we are waiting for her counts to go up. Expect to go home by the end of the week. Then, no more chemo.

Ruth, we were all sorry to hear about your brother.

Stnfrnt, next time we get together, I'm bringing my bike rack. I know a pretty good Malaysian restaurant in your area.

John, what a nice post. You are as good with words as you are with photos.

Is the next reunion still planned for the Dells?

Our best to all.

Pete

Hey Pete....WOW...really good to have you back on board....As for the next reunion or what ever it will be called...there really hasn't been any confirmation as to where it will be held....the Dells have been proposed and here in Nashville has been tossed around and there is some energy from some musicians to invade Jeeps place in Minn. St.Paul/Minn area.....Will just have to wait and see,,,but there will be some sort of Tribal Gathering somewhere....When you hook up with my brother, you two can toss some ideas around and keep us posted....till next time mine and many others are still throwing good thoughts, prayers, voodoo chants, beaming suggestions from outer space, and a few other things for the speedy recovery for Princess Kendra......just keep doing good/great things.........

later bro