Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Default Windsor city council finally agrees to a "sweeping" downtown revitalization plan

How will this be different than all the other "revitalization" plans the city has passed over three decades you ask? Windsor council unanimously approves sweeping downtown revitalization plan [[yahoo.com)

3.2 million$. Wow. That should make a difference. Lol

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    3.2 million$. Wow. That should make a difference. Lol
    You beat me to it. Those can't be real numbers unless [hopefully] that price is for the plan only. 3.2 M does far these days, certainly not for a "sweeping" revitalization. Maybe it's a typo.

"There are also submissions, both written and in person and many by the same people and organizations, on the proposed budget amendment needed to pay for the plan.

"The price tag is about $3.2 million. Taxes in Windsor will go up 0.7 per cent for the plan."

It won't be easy that's for sure. Not sure if Michigan's downtowns are faring much better but pretty much every town and city in southern Ontario has had their downtown disappear with the big boxes finishing off what shopping malls started in the 80's. I drove through London, Ont. last summer and couldn't believe how boarded up it was. London is a very vibrant, middle class city with a population of 400,000. It used to be a model for a bustling downtown.
    Many people on driving trips from Michigan to Niagara Falls, the U.S. east coast, etc. used to spend a night in Windsor as a stopover. That won't happen with the Gordie, as people will just continue to the many hotels by the 401 in London.
    Last edited by 401don; May-14-24 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    You beat me to it. Those can't be real numbers unless [hopefully] that price is for the plan only. 3.2 M does far these days, certainly not for a "sweeping" revitalization. Maybe it's a typo.

"There are also submissions, both written and in person and many by the same people and organizations, on the proposed budget amendment needed to pay for the plan.

"The price tag is about $3.2 million. Taxes in Windsor will go up 0.7 per cent for the plan."
    So, I haven't found the detailed budget item yet, but in looking at the report itself, I would note the following:

1) This report is NOT about making any large scale capital investments in things like streetscape or arts or housing; those items will be funded but are already in separate budget envelopes.

2) This report is about ongoing operating funding for police [[12 additional officers for downtown), by-law enforcement, property standards/litter clean up etc. This is also about public health addressing drug addiction/mental health.

I would read that the 3.2M is sustained annual funding of the above for the indefinite future until the acute problems subside. So that could mean 32M over 10 years [[more when inflation is factored in)

401Don may have more detail than I.

The initiative/report itself is discussed here:

https://www.mayordrewdilkens.ca/2024...then-the-core/

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    So, I haven't found the detailed budget item yet, but in looking at the report itself, I would note the following:

1) This report is NOT about making any large scale capital investments in things like streetscape or arts or housing; those items will be funded but are already in separate budget envelopes.

2) This report is about ongoing operating funding for police [[12 additional officers for downtown), by-law enforcement, property standards/litter clean up etc. This is also about public health addressing drug addiction/mental health.

I would read that the 3.2M is sustained annual funding of the above for the indefinite future until the acute problems subside. So that could mean 32M over 10 years [[more when inflation is factored in)

Well, that would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post

Just implementing this one thing under 1. Safe Streets would do wonders for downtown [[should have been done a loooong time ago):

• Discourage loitering on medians and in front of empty storefronts and residential buildings in the downtown core.