Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    A lot of house brand goods from store to store are made by name brand manufacturers and are the same product with a different label.
    My first job was with Green Giant. About 25% of the canned foods went out the door without labels.

Hienz Ketchup

Back in the day before refrigeration people used to use Ketchup or what ever sauce in order to mask the taste of tainted meat.

So at the market all of the sauces were in dark bottles so you could not see the product inside and the manufacturer could call it whatever and you never really knew what was inside when buying it.

So Heinz said- it’s tomato ketchup and I will put it in a clear glass bottle so the buyer can see it is real,and then proceeded to corner the market.

You do notice a difference though,green giant will be crispier veggies,Del Monte fruits no soggy the worst is with peanut butter,some off brands are just nasty.

Remember the dented can thing - nobody would buy a dented can because they used lead in the seam but not anymore because it’s not lead but people will still shy away.

Publix here sells their brand of milk - Which is supplied by a company called TG Lee - TGLEE in the store comes in the yellow jug,Publix in the white But the difference is 1 week after the expiration date the milk will still be good versus the discount milk that turns sour most of the time 1 week before the expiration date.

I think to really bargain shop as to value for the dollar people have to learn about the products and alternatives that are there,they say now more are switching to house brands as the budget become tighter,so it may end up with more of the name brands appearing in house brands as a way to move product in a slower market.

I never really thought much before about brand loyalty we are,until my friends come over from the UK and you have to teach them what to buy and not to buy.

That was the thing with Aldi,they have separate research departments for each country and spend piles of money trying to match their house brands to whatever is considered premium in that country.

Jif peanut butter and how it tastes in this country is different then how it tastes in another country,so they had to come as close to how it tastes in this country before they put it on the shelf.

Okay maybe I was that bored but I did find it interesting how they would spend billions in testing in order to overcome the stigma of people not wanting to buy off brands,but they thought it was necessary in order to enter the market.

But we have 2 ply TP where the UK is up to 16 ply,but you cannot buy 16 ply at Aldi.

Ikea sells food,good Swedish meatballs in the bag,I wonder if they will eventually delve into the market on a bigger scale.
    Last edited by Richard; March-10-24 at 11:02 PM.

3. Default

I really like Aldi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2