Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Detroit News:
    "We have the permit now," says George W. Jackson Jr., the stadium-weary development chief. Had the stadium been torn down 14 months ago, as planned, the demolition company would have paid the city for the privilege of reusing the bricks, the concrete and steel that once held the stadium together. Instead, the high prices of steel and concrete collapsed late last summer, and the city's now coughing up $400,000 to complete the job.
    While I am fairly quiet on these issues, I think it is the height of incompetence that the city is now paying $400,000 to finish this job. I understand that the fault for the hold-ups lies in various people's hands, including the preservationists, this kind of waste is awful considering the financial state of the city right now. Surely the DEGC has better uses for this money.

Lastly, I will note that I do think the DEGC now has no choice but to spend the $400,000. I just think that they should not have done it in the first place if it would cost that much money.

New Red Wings Area, here we come.