[QUOTE=Former_Detroiter;633380]
Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
There had been the s a me rash of violence in Chicago and other major cities this past weekend. It's not just a Detroit Greektown issue. It's an America issue. When protesters were burning and looting across the country after the death of George Floyd in 2020 Detroit was one of very few major cities that were able to prevent the burning and looting from occurring here. A few looters wannabeees were probably disappointed that they didn't get a free pair of Nikes ir Steph Curry sneakers from Under Armour that they had their sites on. I am beginning to wonder if there was orchestrated plans for young people just to cause chaos in the downtown areas of cities across the country. Ten years ago there were Flash Mobs wreaking havoc in cities across the country almost simultaneously[/Q

True enough crime is global, however, the question is "Can Greektown Be Saved?"

The question should be Why are the unruly crowd gather at Greektown and no other parts of downtown or midtown? Not that I am encouraging them to. The activists would protest if police show a heavy handed approach to stopping the crime that occurred in Greektown. However, at the same time young people had been running a muck at that spot. Yes it can be saved by returning it back to being a Greektown with Greek restaurants and venues and not changing it into a hipster town with venues that attract the wild. Greektown and the Riverwalk are the two most tourist attracted utilized areas downtown with the acception of Campus Martuis. Some would blame Buffalo Wild Wings and not blame the other restaurants and bars in the same area. Some would blame the lack of jobs and rec centers for the youths to keep them off the streets. There is an outdoor skating rink and basketball courts at Campus Martius for the young people to enjoy themselves. It is sad that these young thugs set out to cause havoc downtown while the rest of the city have isolated incidents of violent crimes.