Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Nobody who has seen the ridership of the PM for the last 3 decades can seriously think expanding it would be a good idea. Let me know how many posters here think it makes sense. Mass transit should be developed to fill a need. Yes, if you have light rail in a city that's growing then high rise residential will develop at the stops along the route but Detroit is nowhere near the point where it's feasible.
    It feels tiring to reiterate but I guess it's gotta be said again: DPM has low ridership because it doesn't connect where people live to where they need to go for work and culture.

Build spurs down Gratiot to Lafayette & Elmwood Park to connect to the downtown loop at Cadillac Place, and you add 8,000 residents to the network.

Build a spur down Michigan to MCS, connecting to the Michigan Ave station, and you add 5,000 residents to the network. Better yet, continue into SW and you can connect another 12,000.

You could more than triple the population of Detroiters living in walking distance from a DPM stop with just two well-placed spur lines. How many of them work in downtown/midtown? How many more people would consider those neighborhoods if they offered carless access to the business and cultural nucleus of the city? My bet would be a lot.

It's just a bad faith argument to say the existing loop's ridership means people don't want it. Add what we need to fulfill the utility and I guarantee it would be a huge hit.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    It feels tiring to reiterate but I guess it's gotta be said again: DPM has low ridership because it doesn't connect where people live to where they need to go for work and culture.

Build spurs down Gratiot to Lafayette & Elmwood Park to connect to the downtown loop at Cadillac Place, and you add 8,000 residents to the network.

Build a spur down Michigan to MCS, connecting to the Michigan Ave station, and you add 5,000 residents to the network. Better yet, continue into SW and you can connect another 12,000.

You could more than triple the population of Detroiters living in walking distance from a DPM stop with just two well-placed spur lines. How many of them work in downtown/midtown? How many more people would consider those neighborhoods if they offered carless access to the business and cultural nucleus of the city? My bet would be a lot.

It's just a bad faith argument to say the existing loop's ridership means people don't want it. Add what we need to fulfill the utility and I guarantee it would be a huge hit.
    8,000 residents? Do you have any idea how much expanding the PM would cost? 80,000 residents MIGHT make one spur viable but I doubt it.