Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Malls follow population shifts,Northland and Eastland and thousands of malls across the country were built in a time and place where they had a surrounding community of supporting wage earners,population shifting makes them obsolete.

Mall of America,the largest mall built In Minnesota and in the country is being replaced by another largest mall in America,in Miami.

The mall of America in Minnesota is now on the decline with the population shift and is frought with the same ills that brought Northland and Eastland down.

New malls are being built in the south as the disposable income moves to the south.

I have 2 malls within 3 miles by me a high end one and a mid range one,both are packed daily but the mid range one is starting the follow the decline of the surrounding community as it’s population shifts further out.

There are another 2 that have been closed for over 20 years,back in hair day they were cutting edge,but the demographics changed and the malls closed.

Here you do not see places like Ross,which I really like,or other discount national chains in the malls,they have standalone parcels,but you do see them in the advanced strip malls being built as they expand out to the fringes.

The Bain of strip malls are mostly chain eateries,shoe stores and cell phone stores,they should all be demolished anyways.

The majority of the major retailers need the floor space that a strip mall cannot offer.

I have a customer that had a burger place in the upscale mall,before COVID he was doing over $60,000 per month in revenue,you do not get those numbers selling $25 hamburgers in a mall unless you have the traffic.

American Dream Miami will be the largest shopping center in the US. The mall is expected to open by 2025. Construction is set to begin in late 2021 by Canadian development firm Triple Five Group

https://floridainsider.com/travel/th...south-florida/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Five_Group

Triple Five also owns mall of America,they would not be building in Miami if they thought malls were dead.

But if you look at how they are structured,they are also a tourist related enterprise,so they are not building malls strictly as a place to shop.
That American Dream Mall hasn't actually broken ground yet, and with their still unfinished mall in NJ struggling, I'm skeptical the Florida mall ever will...