Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
My aunt works for a law firm that specializes in suing school districts who redirect funds meant for social workers and parapros to other uses [[usually teacher or administrator salaries.)

She used to be a social worker, but when there were budgets cuts in the school, the teacher's union forced the district to lay off all social workers before laying off a single teacher, even though there were funds earmarked for social workers.

There is plenty of money flying around my school district. Every single millage they put out for any reason passes. My son's school has one part-time social worker for around 400 students.
There isn't enough money. Your post illustrates that. There is a massive teacher shortage in this country and many districts like Detroit are getting a new crop of Teach for America teachers each year because the turnover is so high. If you have quality teachers with experience you have to keep them somehow and I imagine that is where that money is being redirected, versus some sort of greed as I believe you are inferring. There should be enough money to properly pay teachers AND have social workers on staff. Right now districts have to make decisions like the one you mentioned.