Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    A retail tenant isn't going to sign a lease and have a space built out only to move 24 months later. That doesn't make sense.
    Not really true. Luxury retailers renovate their stores constantly. It's part of their brand strategy to stay ahead of the trends. And moving locations is not that strange at all.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Cartier would be Target for flash mobs and snatch and grabbers. Columbia, Nautica, or Addidas would be a better fit in that spot
    Agreed that Cartier is a bad idea, but Columbia and Nautica are not going to succeed downtown. Bring in Balenciaga or something rich kids want. Uniqlo would do well too

Cartier would be Target for flash mobs and snatch and grabbers. Columbia, Nautica, or Addidas would be a better fit in that spot
    No store downtown has been a large target for thieves. There's stores that sell $1000 shoes and watches and we haven't gotten reports of "flash mobs and snatch and grabbers" so quit it with the fear mongering, it's exhausting.

My guess is everything in the store will be on lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    Agreed that Cartier is a bad idea, but Columbia and Nautica are not going to succeed downtown. Bring in Balenciaga or something rich kids want. Uniqlo would do well too
    IIRC there was a Uniqlo in an earlier render of the Hudsons block bldg – I would love a Detroit Uniqlo so much. Very affordable basics store, yet consistently present in fancy malls amidst Cartier and Kenzo. Their thermal underlayer stuff is really great for the cold we're experiencing right now, makes a lot of sense for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I guess we'll find out.

I can't think of another market similar in size to Detroit that has 2 stores.

The closest comparisons would be Miami with 6 and then Dallas with 3.
    Dallas market is huge, it's called the "Metroplex" It's metro area is ranked 4th in the US and Miami's is 7th. Both much bigger than the Detroit market.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-28-22 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Dallas market is huge, it's called the "Metroplex" It's metro area is ranked 4th in the US and Miami's is 7th. Both much bigger than the Detroit market.
    Perhaps, but to my point, there are several other metros just as large as Detroit [[or larger) that only have 1 Gucci store:

*Philadelphia
    *Atlanta
    *Seattle
    *Houston
    *Boston
    *Chicago
    Last edited by 313WX; January-31-22 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    I beg to differ. Columbia will get just as many if not more than Nike and H&M. Columbia products are reasonable. Let's face it. The stores that are really getting the foot traffic and the large flow of customers flowing out of it carrying bags are Carhartt, Nike, H&M, and one or two boutiques. Carhartt is probably the only store that has the most customer support with it's reasonable prices and extended sizes. Nike and Moosejaw do not carry extend sizes such as tall sizes

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    No store downtown has been a large target for thieves. There's stores that sell $1000 shoes and watches and we haven't gotten reports of "flash mobs and snatch and grabbers" so quit it with the fear mongering, it's exhausting.
    Not fear mongering here. Detroit doesn't have the police protection nor security downtown for Cartier, Rolex or any high end store. This is why I had introduced on this site almost the concept of Nike having an outlet store downtown which was ridiculed by many bloggers in here

Based on many of the alternate recommendations for stores downtown I'm reading on this thread, I think it's safe to say we are NOT the target audience for a Gucci store... Do we really think a brand like Gucci just threw a dart at a map and decided to come to Detroit on a whim, without a ton of research? This store will do fine.

I also hope we don't see any "flash mobs" in Detroit either, because they are a corny trend from the 2010s lol

Not fear mongering here. Detroit doesn't have the police protection nor security downtown for Cartier, Rolex or any high end store. This is why I had introduced on this site almost the concept of Nike having an outlet store downtown which was ridiculed by many bloggers in here
    Yes they do, as evident by the thousand dollar watches and shoes I mentioned before, and how they haven't had to deal with mass smash and grabs. So unless you know of some instances that nobody else has heard of, you're fear mongering.

^ Downtown along the Woodward strip may remain free of smash-and-grabs, but high-end gym shoes stores elsewhere in the city don't always fare so well.

All of the stand alone [not in a mall] Foot Locker stores in the city have security guards on site, armed, and most employ those pull-down steel gates [the non-see-thru kind fully covering the glass] closed-shut when not open.

There was an independent gym shoe store on that Jefferson at Chene strip mall that had their plate glass windows smashed every other month! They'd put up the wood over the glass and reopen. Then I believe finally a truck crashed-backed up to get the goods at one point after hours. The store finally gave-up-the-ghost and closed permanently..........

Similar shannigans have occurred at some beauty supply stores that sell the high-end human hair products. I'll see if I can find the 'truck-smash' link of the shoe store and post it when I can. Here are other incidences of theft in general in Detroit shoe stores, etc:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...es/1874523001/

https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/det...ore-in-detroit

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2021/02/11/truck-suv-detroit-dollar-store/6730803002/
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-22 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Downtown along the Woodward strip may remain free of smash-and-grabs, but high-end gym shoes stores elsewhere in the city don't always fare so well.

All of the stand alone [not in a mall] Foot Locker stores in the city have security guards on site, armed, and most employ those pull-down steel gates [the non-see-thru kind fully covering the glass] closed-shut when not open.

There was an independent gym shoe store on that Jefferson at Chene strip mall that had their plate glass windows smashed every other month! They'd put up the wood over the glass and reopen. Then I believe finally a truck crashed-backed up to get the goods at one point after hours. The store finally gave-up-the-ghost and closed permanently..........

Similar shannigans have occurred at some beauty supply stores that sell the high-end human hair products. I'll see if I can find the 'truck-smash' link of the shoe store and post it when I can. Here are other incidences of theft in general in Detroit shoe stores, etc:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2021/02/11/truck-suv-detroit-dollar-store/6730803002/
    There was one guy, I think he was an ex-athlete who open up a gym shoe store, I think it was somewhere on Dexter, maybe near Chicago or maybe further down, I don't remember. It was in this newly built strip mall, not in a good spot. His store got broken into constantly. it lasted a couple months, the last time I went by that corner, there were no stores left in that strip mall.

^ Wow! I was just by there today [I live near the area], stopping at the gas station nearby. The location is on Linwood near Clairmont. There was a thriving Hungry Howies, a couple of small retail stores and a barber shop as well.

The decline really accelerated the summer of 2018 when the first marijuana shops exploded across the city. Taking up business fast in nearly every lean-too shack or available better store-front - nearly every other corner, near schools - open day and night. Sadly one of the more eh' seedy [pardon the pun] 'dispensaries' opened on that strip. Immediately the entire row of businesses was crawling with folks sitting in their cars smoking marijuana all day and night... littering, loud, loitering, coming and going out of this dispensary. Parking was nearly impossible! Cars speeding in and out to the point that police were coming regularly breaking up fights, etc. Arresting those not having their appropriate 'paperwork' required for product purchase, etc.

It just got to be too dangerous to even go to the pizza place for us. Which folded within six-months, with all the other stores closing fast thereafter having had it with increased break-ins as well. Including the marijuana store that started the sharp and swift decline! We observed this over an eight-ten month period.

Stronger city ordinances, and enforced zoning for Detroit's marijuana sellers would finally start within a year [as vigorously demanded by various citizens living near the dispensaries]. Most of the lower-end shops, not so inclined to the new laws closed or revised their selling policies [such as ending the consumption of their product on the premises]. This would all come too late for that block.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-29-22 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Oh yeah, I forgot that Gucci was putting their store in a strip mall on the East side...

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Gucci was putting their store in a strip mall on the East side...

"In time the Rockies may crumble, Gibraltar may tumble, they're only made of clay, but, our love is here to stay."

Who was it said: That’s why we can’t have nice things. Lol.

Gucci Store Coming To Downtown Detroit

So what? I think the stuff is butt-ugly, cheaply made, overpriced crap. I know it's popular but so is McDonald's. It's for people who have no taste and no idea what to do with their money, trying to be trendy. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Gucci Store Coming To Downtown Detroit

So what? I think the stuff is butt-ugly, cheaply made, overpriced crap. I know it's popular but so is McDonald's. It's for people who have no taste and no idea what to do with their money, trying to be trendy. I wish everyone the best of luck.
    I would say it's a 1st world thing but the stuff that doesn't sell ends up in 3rd world landfills.

Think of what the markup is on that stuff they sell. 500%, 1000%, or more than that?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    There was one guy, I think he was an ex-athlete who open up a gym shoe store, I think it was somewhere on Dexter, maybe near Chicago or maybe further down, I don't remember. It was in this newly built strip mall, not in a good spot. His store got broken into constantly. it lasted a couple months, the last time I went by that corner, there were no stores left in that strip mall.
    Derrick Coleman.

BREAKING NEWS: Luxury fashion brand sells items at a markup.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    BREAKING NEWS: Luxury fashion brand Businesses sell items at a markup.
    fyp

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post

I think the stuff is butt-ugly, cheaply made, overpriced crap. I know it's popular but so is McDonald's. It's for people who have no taste and no idea what to do with their money,
    I agree. Certainly isn't on par with Coach or Channel, BUT, I do always see a line of people waiting to get into the store at Somerset, and a majority are African American. So perhaps Gucci has done their homework. [Such as asking people for their zip codes when they purchase].

Then again, if I were going to drop $3k on a handbag for the wife, I'd also want to make a nice event out of it, and take her to eat at J. Alexander's or Capital Grill, then wander through the mall looking into her favorite stores, and finally buying the handbag.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Perhaps, but to my point, there are several other metros just as large as Detroit [[or larger) that only have 1 Gucci store:

*Philadelphia
    *Atlanta
    *Seattle
    *Houston
    *Boston
    I get your point.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I get your point.
    Even Chicago only has 1 Gucci store.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast