Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Decisions whether to hold or dispose are made by algorithms that maximize profits, whereas decisions to protect the environment are up to the polity. This is called 'The Tragedy of the Commons' -- which is ALMOST an iron law of nature.
    That sounds like a nice way of saying Bezos is off the hook and there shouldn't be any environmental corporate responsibility, only what gov't legislates.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    That sounds like a nice way of saying Bezos is off the hook and there shouldn't be any environmental corporate responsibility, only what gov't legislates.
    No company can afford to be vastly more responsible than their competitors.

With legislation, every company has to bear the same costs, and we customers can simply pay more. But if Amazon goes it alone, most people will shop elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    No company can afford to be vastly more responsible than their competitors.

With legislation, every company has to bear the same costs, and we customers can simply pay more. But if Amazon goes it alone, most people will shop elsewhere.
    I'm thinking with Amazon's market domination they could quite easily find a fairly inexpensive way to keep a few hundred million more items out of landfills. I wouldn't let them off the hook so easily. But what do I know, I don't buy from them.
    Last edited by 401don; December-27-21 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm thinking with Amazon's market domination they could quite easily find a fairly inexpensive way to keep a few hundred million more items out of landfills...
    Amazon might find a way, but it won't. It's pie in the sky.

Likewise, the idea that the public can get Congress to make responsible recycling rules is pie in the sky.