I support the challenge, but I fear for the worst. There are still vast cohorts of Detroit city residents who are simply "off the radar" 18 and older, younger to middle aged folks who have zero interest in keeping up with things like the Census. Makes no sense to them. "Do you get paid for filling out these papers?" "can child support catch up with you?" "can the tax people catch up with you?" "can social services find out you have a man in the home?" and various questions along those lines..

Many seniors with certain challenges/homebound, sick, nursing home care is another issue. My neighborhood continues to hollow out and there are a bunch of drastically dilapidated and trash homes and low-rise apartment buildings, which have sat derelict for years. The demolitions program hasn't come to our neighborhood at all, it seems. I voted against the bonds. I haven't seen the "results" in my immediate area.

I suspect that Detroit might be the area of the state that "loses" a congressional seat and it might be redrawn to pretty much just Detroit proper as one seat. I've submitted my own suggestions to the bipartisan redrawing commission. I hope their meetings continue to be publicized.

I want Detroit proper to become more multicultural, but "organically". I'm curious as to the residential trends for anyone of Arab and Asian ethnic cohorts, in particular. Particularly as various urban Detroit residents "only" see people from these groups in the context of owners of local retail stores, grocery/liquor, gas station, beauty supplies, nail shops; it frequently leads to a rather skewed social view on the deeper humanity of these cohorts, especially taking into account all the lingering tensions and occasional violent incidents that occur with allegedly "aggressive" consumers vs. allegedly "predatory" store owners. This issue in particular continues to threaten social ties in the city.

The drastic dispersal of entry-level job opportunities for the high-school educated [[or less) has done incalculable damage to the economic/social state of Detroit proper. That new skilled trades job training center on Elmhurst & I-96 needs to heavily prioritize and promote itself to city residents, and partner with local educational services to get anybody without a H.S. diploma or GED up to speed, and even refresher courses for those who haven't had to deal with anything math-related for years/decades.

I'm curious how committed newer city residents are to "staying", especially younger adult cohorts who do not yet have school-aged children [[those who are inclined to raise families, anyway). Have they read Aaron Foley's book? [[lol).
We'll see how this evolves.