Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

The Peter Witt from the Ohio Museum is Peter Witt #3876, painted in the later attractive Maroon and Creme DSR scheme.

I would say that the Henry Ford is NOT the place to send this important piece of Detroit's Transit History. They had their shot with Witt #3865, which sat out in the elements for several years following its acquisition, and thank goodness for the Illinois Railway Museum for completely restoring the exterior of this car. Streetcars, and interurbans were important here in Michigan. I'm not sure of where the best place for this piece to go, but perhaps the Michigan History Museum is the best place? If only the Detroit Historical Museum could incorporate this piece in some way that would allow them to return the streetcar for some kind of operating use someday.

I've always thought it would be cool to have an old streetcar and turn it into some kind of Detroit tourist center in Hart Plaza or maybe Grand Circus Park, where you could walk inside and pick up brochures, ask questions about tourism and places of interest,etc. If this Peter Witt could not be a candidate... maybe that DSR PCC at the Michigan Transit Museum would be? Just tossing out some ideas...
    Last edited by Rocko; August-27-09 at 10:30 PM.