Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    If you would like to feel good about your low utility bill from
    living in the south, this is so you can see just how much you
    are saving on your utilities by not living in Michigan.

The energy provider in Detroit is DTE. According to the bill
    for January 2021, my average daily electric cost for the time
    period was $4.32. [[It's twice what it was for me this time last
    year - there is a little chart showing that I used 10.1 KWH per
    day in January 2020 vs. 22.1 KWH in January 2021. There's
    a bit more lighting and a new furnace system this year but
    I am probably due to break out the Kill-A-Watt meter to verify
    that these are the reason for the higher usage.) The little
    chart for natural gas usage shows 7.2 CCF this year versus
    6.7 CCF last January. The average daily gas cost for January
    was $5.74. The total current charges were a bit over $300.
    It is for a house that is about 1,000 square feet.

After about 2022 a price increase of about 11% will be added in
    to everyone's utility bill.

That certainly may push some Michiganders towards Florida.

But just for today, here there are minimal bugs, the
    birds are singing [[to be sure some of them are Canada geese)
    and the coal fired plant across the river was fired up this
    morning, sending energy onto the grid for everyone
    to the south except Texas.
    We already received our notice of a 15% increase on our power bill “for future green energy investments” .

They still never took off the added $16 additional fuel charge that was added when gas was $4 per gallon.

But I paid $3.45 per gallon for gas today,so $4 is not that far off.

Germany had to swap out their 200 electric public transit buses because range did not meet expectations.

Our transit company here spent millions to convert the buses over to natural gas in the name of green,now they want to eliminate natural gas.

Maybe in the name of green they will just make them peddle buses,where all of the riders will have to pitch in and peddle,of course if it is a slow route and you are the only passenger it might be difficult.

Oregon is going as far as not allowing any new construction unless it is totally dependent on electricity,no alternative heat sources.

Their plan is not to wean us off of fossil fuels,they want to just cut the cord now and then deal with the fallout as it occurs,but yet everything that is used to make green energy is based on products that are made from fossil fuels.

So they will Jack the price up of fuel in order to force us to switch to EV but yet that price increase will also Jack up the cost of everything else in our lives.

I ran a cost comparison with Michigan verses Florida a few years back and it was really only a $100 difference.

Canada supplies much of the east coast with power,at cost during the night off peak,I wonder what would happen if they decided one day to stop doing that or if they said they were shutting down that power generation facility in the name of green.

The entire east coast would go dark for a very long time.

We have a law on our books down here,if you make your house 100% self energy reliant they will condem it.

It is not considered habitual unless you are hooked up to utilities.

So even if you go 100% solar etc. you still have to pay the $45 per month in order to stay hooked up to the meter.

I have friends up north with large historical homes,they spend on an average of $3500 per month in heating costs in the winter.
    Last edited by Richard; February-19-21 at 05:02 PM.