Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I certainly don't feel a need to defend myself or my intentions. I will, however, apologize to anyone whom may have taken offense to the term. The word is, at least to my understanding, from Yiddish and Jewish roots. It's been used by me and Jewish friends, in my presence, very recently. No one seemed to have a problem speaking or hearing it. As long as I've been around and as much as I've heard the term used by Jews and Gentiles alike, it's never been disputed, but rather considered colorful and descriptive. I guess if I'd YELLED it LOUDLY and HOSTILELY, it might be more offensive. Is the regular program coming back?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Very good report Bshea. As a long-time hard copy subscriber to Crains I always look forward to your articles.

This quote stunk of back-scratching so much it made me gag.
    “He does targeted consulting for us, but it’s not the recall. It’s a separate activity of his,” Blashfield said, adding that Mongo hasn’t asked for money. If he does, the bridge company can’t say if it will give it, he said.
    I am curious to know where Mongo lives. Is he a constituent of Tlaib?
    Lowell I know he is not a constituent of Tlaib's... I have heard he lives around Lafayette Park... Could be wrong on that though....

1KD, No need to get upset. Just go back and read the one, original sentence I wrote. The rest was in response to Diver1369's & Gistok's comments, disputing what I had said.

No biggie, was just pointing it out in case you were unaware of the connotation. Really. Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by AroundTown View Post
    1KD, No need to get upset. Just go back and read the one, original sentence I wrote. The rest was in response to Diver1369's & Gistok's comments, disputing what I had said.

No biggie, was just pointing it out in case you were unaware of the connotation. Really. Seriously
    This is a fascinating discussion on whether or not the term "shyster" is PC or not. So much so I believe it deserves its own thread.
    It just seems a shame that it's lost in a pointless thread about some bridge and some rep who is being threatened with a recall.
    I mean, how does that effect anyone?

The latest rumor [[according to Mildred) is that Sharon McPhail has been hired by Matty as well.

The latest rumor [[according to Mildred) is that Sharon McPhail has been hired by Matty as well.
    Oh please let it be in a public relations type position. With the all the retirements, jailing, indictments, and primary loses...there is such a dearth of batshit crazy people making insane claims and accusations in the Detroit political realm. .

AT, don't worry about it - I took no offense. I just wanted to address it because I felt it was a worthy, momentary diversion from our main conversation. As Kompost said, the discussion is worth a thread of it's own.

Well, the petitions have been filed.

http://freep.com/article/20090825/NE...-Canada-bridge

Mongo talks like a gangster: “I guess the only thing that will make her sit down and have a two-way discussion is to go ahead and file these,” he said.

Boy, they really feel like this is their own personal Chinatown. With neighbors like Maroun, I totally understand why people want to leave the region.

Mongo lives at 1366 Village Drive on the near east side. In a ticky-tacky townhouse condo built in the early 90s. Nowhere near the bridge.

While I am of the belief that the DRIC has gotten a free pass in all of this. There is no way that the residents of Southwest Detroit are going to recall Tlaib. She may be a one issue legislator, but over here that one issue is enough. At best, they're going to end up making her a household name. Hell, she's not even going to run for state rep in 2010. With the free advertising and positive name recognition she's going to get from this. She may as well run for Yall's girl seat.

MIRepublic Guest

This is straight-up thuggishness by Moroun & Co. While she'll never be removed, it's the thought that the man would be so petty and thuggish enough to actually go through with something so frivilous, that counts. What a miserable, petty bunch of thugs; there is no better noun for them.

We can start calling him 'Mongoloid' Maroun.

MIRepublic Guest

Why? Why choose a word with a scientific meaning and use it as a slur?

I'm almost willing to give the DIBC the benefit of the doubt regarding their statement that this is Mongo's doing and not their's. I'm sure they realize that this does nothing to advance their chances at constructing another span. In fact, it will probably hurt far more than it will help. More than likely, Mongo is trying to rally the Delray residents into what could be the deciding factor for whichever candidate he's going to campaign for against her next year.

Amazing, the DIBC's own consultant has them stuck between a rock and a hard place. With friends like Mongo, who needs enemies. I'm not even a fan of Tlaib, but I wouldn't support a recall effort against her based on his reasons. This has no chance of working out for either Mongo or the DIBC.

Default Rashida's revenge!

The first-term rep also can play hardball. On his Crain's blog, Bill Shea breaks news about what he calls "the Detroit political drama du jour.
    Detroit state Rep. Rashida Tlaib, the target of a recall effort by local heavyweight political fixer Adolph Mongo, has asked Secretary of State Terry Lynn Land to investigate the relationship between Mongo and Ambassador Bridge owner Manuel "Matty" Moroun
    Text of her strong letter is here.

MIRepublic Guest

Isn't what Mongo/Moroun is doing exactly what Meijer was just legally punished for up in Traverse City?

But, forget all of the legal wrangling for a moment, this is simply stupid, politically and strategically. They have to know that there simply aren't enough people to force her out, and thus when you don't get rid of a legislator through recall you end up making them a martyr when they inevitably survive the recall attempt. I honestly don't get what he think he has to gain, from this. He'd have an easier time ousting her by trying to dig up dirt on her than forcing a recall. Is he really that desperate?
    Last edited by MIRepublic; August-27-09 at 08:51 PM.

MIRepublic, re: post #39, I'm being a smart ass. Okay? Re: post #42, I like your analogy to the Meijer's Traverse City situation and I think its accurate.

Rashida was a small irretant to Maroun but became a large irritant through all the work she was doing to stop his land grabs, etc. She has spent countless hours collecting data, talking to State regulators and other legislators. Now all those hours she spent on research, community meetings, legislative work will have to be spent fighting off Mongo/Maroun. All those hours digging through records on the two dozen companies owned by Maroun takes time. Time she now can't spend.

Maroun doesn't care if he makes her a martyr. He just wants to take her eye off one of those two dozen companies, just long enough to slide his plan through. So what if he spends several grand or a million on the recall. Chump change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2