Joel was quite the character, kind of a shadowy guy. He lived in Oak Park around the corner from me when he was a kid, and was a hidden Jew. He could have thrown a softball to Geoff Fieger’s house from his house. Not long ago I noted his car repair facility on Cass Ave. and I thought I was dreaming….somehow I knew he had that business but I never noticed that place, very cool also. He did so much! Quietly!

I am so sorry we did not get an interview with him for our Movie about the Friends of Woodward in the 19902. I saw Joel in the lobby of the Fisher Bldg. when I went to see “Hamilton” with Danny Grinnell [[our movie maker) and his mom last year. Joel was pushing his lady in a wheelchair, she looking much more ill than he. It was clear Joel was not doing very well himself. I think Joel was about 69 years old [[a few years younger than I).

I went to his really cool Thanksgiving Parade Day parties a couple times, quite an event, right there on Charlotte Street a few lots from the Addison. May he rest in Peace.

I was always amazed at those who were able to make things work financially in the Corridor, while most either went broke or died…..We gave Joel a Woody Award, he deserved and deserves so much more credit and accolades. YAH JOEL! You did a GREAT job