Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

OK, pop quiz ....

Who knows that the orange stars and bars as currently displayed and referred to as such is NOT the Confederate Flag and never officially represented the Confederate States Of America?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    OK, pop quiz ....

Who knows that the orange stars and bars as currently displayed and referred to as such is NOT the Confederate Flag and never officially represented the Confederate States Of America?
    Well, yes and no. It was used at the battle flag of Confederate forces in the east and as the Confederate naval ensign. A variant of it, with the battle flag as the canton [[below), was used as the second Confederate national flag beginning in 1863. But, yes, the original national flag of the CSA was a different design, much more similar to the US flag.

However, it was the battle flag that was mostly revived by southern states as the symbol of their resistance to racial integration. And, official or not, I don't think anyone misses the meaning of the use of the battle flag today.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-04-19 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    However, it was the battle flag that was mostly revived by southern states as the symbol of their resistance to racial integration. And, official or not, I don't think anyone misses the meaning of the use of the battle flag today.
    That's why the current form is basically seen as a symbol of hate rather than any form of tribute to the CSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    That's why the current form is basically seen as a symbol of hate rather than any form of tribute to the CSA.
    Yup. When I see a truck in Hazel Park driving a round with a five foot confederate flag mounted to the back of it I know what they're trying to say. It isn't about southern pride. It's a redneck culture that adores the "honesty" of people expressing their bigoted views. It's about intolerance and separation. It's about a furtherance of the sometimes silent racism that persists today.

It's amazing how a group of people can hate on Mexican immigrants and black people because of their "invasion", but they adopt and adore a people that wanted to rip this country apart.

Few minds will be changed, so for the most part I just focus on making sure my children know that hate and bigotry is morally wrong and repulsive.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Yup. When I see a truck in Hazel Park driving a round with a five foot confederate flag mounted to the back of it I know what they're trying to say. It isn't about southern pride. It's a redneck culture that adores the "honesty" of people expressing their bigoted views. It's about intolerance and separation. It's about a furtherance of the sometimes silent racism that persists today.

It's amazing how a group of people can hate on Mexican immigrants and black people because of their "invasion", but they adopt and adore a people that wanted to rip this country apart.

Few minds will be changed, so for the most part I just focus on making sure my children know that hate and bigotry is morally wrong and repulsive.

It's 2019, not 1991. You are more likely to see the Confederate flags flying in zip code 48307 than you are in Hazel Park, where I'm guessing you don't spend much time. With very few exceptions, the inner suburbs have been the most diverse areas of Metro Detroit for quite a while. Rochester Hills...eh not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    It's 2019, not 1991. You are more likely to see the Confederate flags flying in zip code 48307 than you are in Hazel Park, where I'm guessing you don't spend much time. With very few exceptions, the inner suburbs have been the most diverse areas of Metro Detroit for quite a while. Rochester Hills...eh not so much.
    "Hazel Park" would be a great drag name for a Korean American.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    48307 and Bartocktoo are proving that two wrongs don’t make a right. Sheesh, what an exchange of misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    48307 and Bartocktoo are proving that two wrongs don’t make a right. Sheesh, what an exchange of misinformation.
    Can you explain that please? Honestly, what did I miss? If I need to be corrected I'll own it.

Wasn't the first CSA flag something called the "Bonnie Blue" [[I think)? A simple white star on a blue field. I'm pretty sure it was the flag the Rebs were using when they shelled Fort Sumter and kicked off the "late unpleasantness." Could be wrong...never was good on pop quizzes.