Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
Being a Union worker myself I work as hard if not harder then I did in the first 15 yrs of my working career as a Non -Union worker.
Hate to be an ass but I question this statement. Either you have a strong work ethic or you don't. Becoming union doesn't flip a switch and turn people into better workers.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
Union workers are not all a bunch of Fucking Lazy Idiots..
I agree. Many, if not most are hard workers and certainly not idiots. There are however 2 issues in play:

1. The union protects the weakest and underperforming which is unfortunate for the hard working ones.
2. The union is unwilling to allow job cuts when there are curretnly too many jobs. It is this stubborness that I have an issue with. If the union allowed the city to right size departments and eliminated only the weakest workers the city would save money and services would not decline much, if at all.

Blind protectionism and the incessant belief that the city should supply jobs not services is the problem [[and poor leadership/management by the city)

The unfortuante thing is that city union leadership is just as bad as city leadership. We can blame the citizens for voting in the stubborn ignorant crooks [[which we should and do). In the same vein we can blame the union rank and file for voting in their incompetent leadership that is more willing to help lead the city into bankruptcy than support the firing an underperforming worker or support head count reductions when they are called for.

There are many situations when the unions [[specifically the AFSCME) use 'solidarity' before logic. One that jumps out is the Greening of Detroit issue. The good union workers get a bad rap, just as the voters of the city that research and make the best choices get a bad rap.