So the news of the day is that the Liberals; finally, dropped their full platform.

Political junkies may read it here [[warning over 80 pages)

https://2019.liberal.ca/wp-content/u...ddle-class.pdf

Its fill with high minded, virtue-signally fluff and the odd good idea too.

But on the whole I found it disappointing.

Their flagship spending promise, arguably, is Universal Pharmcare. I support this.

But depending on how many drugs are covered and whether there is any copay; the program would have a cost range of between 6BCAD per year and around 26BCAD per year.

But the Liberals have allocated less than 2B, in the 4th year of any new government [[2023); which is to say, the promise is empty.

They have a load of other spending goodies; some of which strike me as truly odd; a $2,000 bursary for families to try out camping in a provincial or national park. The money would cover park fees, travel costs and presumably some equipment costs.

I love camping; but ......if a family can't afford to camp; offering them money, but only if they go camping, just doesn't come off as good for the recipient or the country, not to mention it sounds administratively like a royal PITA.

Ah well.

There's also the matter of fiscal policy. They are proposing deficits every year for the next 4, somewhat larger than they are now.

At least they show a slight decline in debt to GDP; but given some serious uncertainty about future revenues and several underfunded promises, it does not strike me as fiscally responsible.

Of course all 4 parties are showing deficits over the next 4 years.

The costing is at least a bit more transparent from the others.