Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    As was the case with so many buildings that were "modernized" in the 1950s... the Penobscot Building had it's entrance lobby split up by floors.

Here is a rare image of the way the building looked when it was first built. Nowhere near as fancy as the Guardian Building, but the original multifloor lobby as built. By the look of it, it's possible that everything still exists behind drop ceilings and covered walls.
    I always wondered why the lobby for such an important building is so bland. Thank you for posting this photo. Any idea when the modernization was done?

That main lobby is still intact as second floor office space. It's closed to the public for the security of the second floor tenant. The basement has tunnels that go beyond the block. The top floors can only be accessed by transferring elevators in a sky lobby, they're mostly abandoned and vacant. The Penobscot is a b**** to clean.
    Last edited by Molly Maide Srv; August-19-19 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Maide Srv View Post
    That main lobby is still intact as second floor office space. It's closed to the public for the security of the second floor tenant. The basement has tunnels that go beyond the block. The top floors can only be accessed by transferring elevators in a sky lobby, they're mostly abandoned and vacant. The Penobscot is a b**** to clean.
    When you're on the second floor, can you still see features from Gistok's photo?

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    When you're on the second floor, can you still see features from Gistok's photo?
    Yes. The coffered ceiling still exists.

I'm glad to hear the ceiling still exists! Does anyone know if the mural is still there, or any of the other original features? This lobby has always been one of the things I'm most curious about in Detroit's buildings. Knowing that part of it is still there is great. Now I'll just have to wait until the building changes owners and they [[hopefully) restore it.

Another quirky thing about the Penobscot had to do with the building being built in various phases. On one of the areas in the FOA space, the floor was not level, so there was a small stairway [[3 steps?) in that particular area.

Quote Originally Posted by NSortzi View Post
    I always wondered why the lobby for such an important building is so bland. Thank you for posting this photo. Any idea when the modernization was done?
    NSortzi... sometimes it becomes very hard to find info on when a change was made to buildings downtown.

I accidentally stumbled on when the David Whitney Building had its' external modernization, came across that by accident. In 1959 the Otto Preminger film ANATOMY OF A MURDER [[Jimmy Stewart, Ben Gazarra, Lee Remick) had its' world premier in Detroit at the United Artists Theatre nearby. It was in July, and the characters were in a motorcade that came down Woodward and across Grand Circus Park. In the footage, on the way to the United Artists, you can see scaffolding covering the entirety of the David Whitney Building.

Now mercifully, it's been restored to its' 1915 appearance, a crown jewel by famous American architect Daniel Burnham. Fortunately the 4 story opulent atrium of the 18 story David Whitney was never altered... just restored recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; August-19-19 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Now mercifully, it's been restored to its' 1915 appearance, a crown jewel by famous American architect Daniel Burnham. Fortunately the 4 story opulent atrium of the 18 story David Whitney was never altered... just restored recently.
    That atrium is awesome, and it was beautifully restored.

If I were going to do a tour of Detroit lobbies, David Whitney would definitely be on it, but probably not the Penobscot.