Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
In 1990 University of Detroit, Mercy College and Marygrove College were all 3 in merger talks. Marygrove backed out for whatever reason, and University of Detroit and Mercy College merged to become University of Detroit Mercy.

Ironically Marygrove College it is 11 blocks west of U of D Mercy. I wonder if U of DM could have a functional use for it. Marygrove is far and away the most beautiful of the colleges in the Detroit area, and is 100% fenced in with tall wrought iron fencing.
Given the decision by Marygrove to back out of the merger, at a time when all three institutions were in fairly dire straits, I must say I'm gratified they were able to keep things going these 29 years.

As to your other point, Gistok, unfortunately I think it very unlikely UDM will step into the fray here. UDM at the time of merger had a good bit more land than it now has, and when it needs more space it looks very nearby, such as the acquisition of the former Brent Hospital property eight or nine years ago. Eleven blocks is not far - I've walked it many times - but it's probably farther than UDM would look if it needs land, which right now [[so far as I know) it does not.

I do hope something beneficial can be done with the property, though I'm not sure what or when it will be.