Now for some pure speculation...

My first take for SE Michigan would envision districts radiating out from downtown ala the Woodward Plan, something like the map below. I think this is decently 'communal' and generally represents how residents of those areas interact in terms of city / suburb work, shopping and entertainment patterns.
Name:  Congressional_Districts2.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  42.2 KB

The 14th would become a Woodward-centric [Dreamcruise?] district, the 9th would become a Gratiot-centric [Gratiot Cruise?] district going NE into Macomb until it fills is population, and the 13th Grand River-centric. The Downriver 12th "Dingell" district is a decently natural district and would remain largely the same. The 11th would wrap the northern eastside, the 8th northern westside.

There is a good chance that this we be negotiated using Maptitude, the leading redistricting software. This allows for sophisticated layering of data like income and demographics along with voting dispositions.

The political outlook of every household can now be detected with a very high degree of accuracy. This is available from data aggregators. "They" know who you are and who I am.

...and that and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee.