Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Metro Detroit is now dealing with 50 years of bad decisions, lack of cooperation and a manufacturing mentality. What is sad and funny all at the same time is that so many in Metro Detroit think things are great in their little city because, well, they aren't Detroit.

This region is imploding and Detroit will be the boogey man to blame but we, as a region are just dealing with poor decisions, pitiful infighting and segregation/hatred of 50+ years. It's pretty sad but I can laugh about it since Detroit can't fall much further. For those elsewhere in Metro Detroit the wake up call is going to be brutal.
First of all you have to remember Phoenix's weather is completely different from Detroit and is more attractive to seniors and retirees. AZ, TX, FL and now Costa Rica have been the destination for retirees for years. With the boomers retiring naturally the populations of these states will continue to increase.

My Aunt and Uncle lived off GR at 7 Mile and owned a hardware store. The hardware store went broke from high business taxes, from constantly being robbed and of course from less business as the neighborhood lost residents. My Uncle lived in his house until the 90s even after it was paid off but stayed because he would have had to give it away as his was one of the only ones left on his block that wasn't abandoned. My Aunt left years before fearing for her life.

I lived in Redford in the 70s and 80s. The neighborhood looks the same today, the street is still unpaved, but property taxes have gone through the roof.
Maybe people are sick of paying taxes that are being embezzled by corrupt city leaders. Detroit will NEVER be what it was. Maybe the answer is to deannex portions of the city and let the county and state deal with the problem. Or move.