Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
No, I don't really care to. I don't really care for my commute and the time I've wasted alone because of my unique commute. I don't really care that my car depreciates in value every time I drive it. I don't really care for our high insurance rates. Or the monthly car payment. Or the yearly tabs payment and inevitable insurance hikes. I don't really care for the $150 yearly I spend on oil changes. Or the probably $3,000-5000 extra I will spend over its life for other maintenance. And I don't care for any future emotional toll that may happen should I get into a nasty accident because that's how life goes sometimes.

But please, tell me more how cars are "independence".

I'd rather be at the whim of the elements outside and maybe a bus or train is running late because that's temporary and I'll know that I'm not in a car, which is a ball and chain to one's life.

And for the amount of bad [[nevermind uninsured) drivers on the road, one would think a decent, connected mass transit system would be a welcome relief to those who think they're "good drivers".

So I welcome and applaud DDOT and SMART, with what little they have, in trying to make it easier for us car owners and for everyone to use their systems.

What DDOT, SMART, FAST, and NOT-SO-FAST need to do is adjust their rates accordingly, let say $10-$12 dollars a trip for riders, to match today's inflation. This would eliminate the tax burden placed auto owners, property owners, and other tax payers, then take the money now used to subsidize these money losing propositions, and use it to maintain roads and other necessary infrastructure. There's no such thing as a free ride.