Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Paging Gazhekwe

Hybrid View

Well said Ravine. The "gasbag" part was particularly funny. Thanx Gazhewke, I love hearing that stuff.

Ravine Guest

Thanks, Gnome.
    I wish Gazhekwe would log back onto this thread and start just rambling on about whatever remarks might come to her mind while doing said rambling.
    It could trigger a one-thing-leads-to-another chain of fascinating tidbits.
    Probably, many of us could learn more about actual Native American history, right here and from her, than we picked up in K-12.
    In fact, that may have already happened.

You're welcome, Ravine, and thank you for starting this thread and giving us all the opportunity to have a little fun.

I didn't want to confuse you, and I think you have interpreted the idea right. Most tribe names will translate into English as something like "the People" or "Human Beings." Specifically translating from the Indian language using the root word derivation may yield a more complex meaning. I tried to show that with Anishinaabe, in which the root word is "good" and the "aabe" is a form of "to be".

Diné is usually translated Human Beings, and is one of the major tribes of the US. They are of Athabaskan origin which is interesting, since they and the Apaches are the only ones south of northern Canada.

The Apaches, being of the same language group, have a similar name for themselves, Tindé, translating to First People. Apache means fighter, and comes from the Zuni and Yuma.

I hope this helps. Please be sure and ask if you have any more questions. I would be happy to go on and on, but you need to prime the pump.

FWIW, "Anasazi" maps to Ancient Pueblo Peoples.

I have an English to Navajo dictionary handy here in case it helps.

Ravine Guest

"Most tribe names will translate into English as something like "the People" or "Human Beings." Specifically translating from the Indian language using the root word derivation may yield a more complex meaning. I tried to show that with Anishinaabe, in which the root word is "good" and the "aabe" is a form of "to be"."

That statement resolves a good bit of my confusion over your original answer. It's what you said, the first time, but something about your re-phrasing clarified it, in some way.

Is there any particular tribe specifically noted for their markedly "humane" qualities? I mean, a tribe which was known for being especially compassionate, gentle-hearted, and forgiving?
    [[Given the way Native Americans were shafted, on this continent, that would be quite a remarkable tribe, indeed.)