Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Paging Gazhekwe

Threaded View

Ravine Guest

Well, now! I am somewhat confused, and not sure if I clearly understand all of Gazhekwe's initial statement, but I am delighted that I asked the question, because it caused Gazhekwe to graciously indulge us with some information which I and, apparently, a few others find to be rather interesting.

I very much appreciate Gazhekwe's response, and her willingness to provide some additional commentary. Thank you, Gazhekwe.
    See, when I was young, I heard that one of what was then referred to as "Indian tribe names" meant "The Human Beings." I thought it was Apache or Navajo. Gazhekwe's answer suggests that, while what I heard may have been a bit over-simplified, it was Navajo to which the "translation" was attached.

Of course, growing up in the 60's, a whole lot of what we read, were told, or were taught about Native Americans was terribly over-simplified, to say the least; worse, much of it was, undoubtedly, irredeemably ignorant and grotesquely misleading.

*Ahem* Who are the "savages" now, pray tell?

Ach, aye; I am so glad that I asked the question, as I have learned-- I mean, I think I have learned-- not only the answer to my original question, but a good bit more, as well.

And, speaking of ignorance, I have learned one thing for certain: It is readily, and redolently, apparent that "MIRepublic" translates as "nosy, incognitive, needlessly interfering gasbag."
    I'll count that morsel of info as one of that which the late columnist & essayist, Sydney Harris, used to call, "Things I Learned While Looking Up Other Things."
    Last edited by Ravine; August-13-09 at 09:12 PM.