Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
It's amazing to me that a bank is building a dedicated hq [[for the purposes of PR and recruitment etc) and an architecture firm is getting to design an hq midrise in a prominent location... and this is what they all came up with and they're all happy with it. Why is Detroit so awful at designing things and why is Detroit so oblivious to the fact that it's so awful at designing things? It's like a husband has been teasing his wife for weeks about the delicious meal he's going to cook for their anniversary and the night finally comes and he picked up McDonalds, but it's been sitting on the counter for an hour so he had to microwave it, and she brags to her coworkers about it the next day.

They also need to tell their employees that they're going to be in a downtown and that they're going to have to walk. The building is right next to the People Mover and the Q-Line. The building doesn't need to be 1/3rd parking garage. They don't seem to consider this site to be valuable enough to maximize the money making part of the building [[offices) over parking. Can you even call it a bank hq when there's more garage than hq?

Overall great news though.
I wouldn't put too much stock into the rendering. I am sure the parking component is accurate but it looks to me like they slapped something together for an announcement, otherwise we would be given a lot more views and looks of the structure.

I agree that the parking taking up so much of the structure is a sad commentary on the city and the state of public transit. Sadly Detroit isn't close to that tipping point where developers can assume that the people occupying the building will live in the city or live sans automobile.