Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
I would rather see it become a independent grocery store that will cater to the neighborhoods and the surrounding area but that would bring a lot of traffic. I give it to the residents of Corktown; they know what is good for their community. If only West Village/Indian Village area could have a stronger voice as well as the Lafayette Park area as well
The problem, Stasu, is that since you and I don't own the property, we don't get to decide, in detail, what gets done with it. Zoning provides for a very broad categorization: retail, office, residential, industrial, and sometimes it gets a little bit more specific. But you can't insist on a grocery store or a men's clothier or a hair salon on a specific parcel; that is way more detail than what zoning can do, and anyhow it's not the city's business to pick and choose what kinds of businesses locate in an area.

If people with money think a grocery is the best use of a piece of land, they will buy it and try to make a go of it as a grocery. If they think a bookstore would be a better use, they will try to do that. Government can't dictate precisely how a parcel is used; we live on Earth, not in Sim City.