Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
The society as a whole focuses more on getting a college education, as opposed to learning a skilled trade. The trades are a excellent way to establish a career and earn a great income as well. There just aren't enough people willing to get their hands dirty so to speak. Most are inclined to rather sit behind a cubicle and wear a suit I guess. Not to mention, the debt they incur and have to pay back for that degree, and some wind up settling for a job, that has nothing to do with the degree they went to school for in the first place.
this is simply a big city vs non-big city issue. i grew up in semi rural/exurban midwest. my high school had a robust technical education curriculum, [[in addition to AP college-focused course work) focused on skilled trades [[welding, CNC-machining, advanced manufacturing, and general building trades - mech, elec, plumb). it had a lot of support from local employers in the industrial park. students designed and built a 3-bed house annually with support of the local rotary and lions clubs. the homes were sold on the open market. those who didn't go to traditional college went to 2-yr locals and now work in the trades. all of the other high schools around me had the same set up and partnerships with post-HS institutions. i went to college for a specific skill because that's what i wanted to do..no one held a gun to my head nor shamed those who didn't choose college. 2 sides to every story