Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Maybe talking about moving the show to October wasn't such a good idea:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...show/33214557/

"BMW Follows Mercedes out of Detroit auto show"

So that's Porsche, Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar and Mazda, Mercedes and now BMW.

I'm thinking a Cobo expansion is probably out of the question at this juncture...

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Maybe talking about moving the show to October wasn't such a good idea:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...show/33214557/

"BMW Follows Mercedes out of Detroit auto show"

So that's Porsche, Volvo, Land Rover, Jaguar and Mazda, Mercedes and now BMW.

I'm thinking a Cobo expansion is probably out of the question at this juncture...
    Wow. Detroit auto show looking like it's headed into its death spiral. Or at least losing any relevancy. This also accompanies the Detroit big 3 much less global. Is Detroit even the "motor city" anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Wow. Detroit auto show looking like it's headed into its death spiral. Or at least losing any relevancy. This also accompanies the Detroit big 3 much less global. Is Detroit even the "motor city" anymore?
    Yes. Detroit is still the "motor city." The R&D operations of most of the major US and foreign automakers, as well as the Tier 1 suppliers, are still based in the Detroit area.

But yes, with far more tourist-friendly cities now hosting auto shows just as good as [[if not better than) Detroit's, it's becoming increasingly harder for automakers to justify even attending or participating in the NAIAS.

Plus, the internet is having an impact as well. Before, you would only be able to catch a sneak peek of future models by attending auto shows. Now, images of these future models get posted all over the internet for people to look at for free, thus people are less likely to spend money and waste an entire day for auto shows.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-24-18 at 11:17 AM.

It's true. The N.A.I.A.S. will change it's date to January to October of 2020. While BMW pack its bags and move out of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    I remember going to the 1968 Auto Show and Jimi Hendrix was playing next door at Cobo Arena. I said to my buddy “Let go see Jimi instead.” He said “ Nah, we’ll get him next time he comes to town”. One of the biggest mistakes of my life. When he came back in May, 1969, I was in the Army and then he was gone. Rest in peace Jimi. “Excuse me while I kiss the sky”Attachment 35279
    My first concert! Cobo Hall was the house that Rock built.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2