Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

".Patterson says there's a one million square foot building that needs very little to get it up to par for the auto show, he says its on Centerpoint Parkway., near the Pontiac - Bloomfield Township border. I Live about 4 miles from there - I'm not sure what building he's talking about though."

Let's say this building exists. Who's money is going to renovate it? Who's money is going to operate it? What hotels are the people visiting going to stay at? What shows other than the auto show would take place at this location that would keep it in operation year-round? Do you really believe that people are going to come from across the country and the world to attend shows at the Centerpoint campus? Just because LBP blows this hot air doesn't mean you should accept his word as gospel.

Angry Dad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    ".Patterson says there's a one million square foot building that needs very little to get it up to par for the auto show, he says its on Centerpoint Parkway., near the Pontiac - Bloomfield Township border. I Live about 4 miles from there - I'm not sure what building he's talking about though."

Let's say this building exists. Who's money is going to renovate it? Who's money is going to operate it? What hotels are the people visiting going to stay at? What shows other than the auto show would take place at this location that would keep it in operation year-round? Do you really believe that people are going to come from across the country and the world to attend shows at the Centerpoint campus? Just because LBP blows this hot air doesn't mean you should accept his word as gospel.
    LBP is likely talking about a closed or soon to be closed GM assembly plant.

By the same token, why would people come to Detroit after some of the nonsense Monica spews?

"LBP is likely talking about a closed or soon to be closed GM assembly plant.

By the same token, why would people come to Detroit after some of the nonsense Monica spews?"

Sounds like a totally unrealistic conversion prospect.

Most people coming to Detroit don't sit around and read the latest ramblings from Monica and the rest of the city council. They come to attend a convention in an area where they can enjoy opportunities to eat, drink and see the local sights when they're not attending convention activities. Is that going to happen at the Centerpoint location? No.

Angry Dad Guest

No other way to put it but those that throw a convention know what and who Monica is.

Cobo Hall the building doesn't matter anymore. It's her attitude.

Patterson likely could arrange a package to finance a new convention center. I doubt he wants to. Can't say that about city council.

Don't let your hate of Patterson obscure the incompetence of Detroit's elected elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the thinking is the current legislation that the Detroit City Council rejected would have extended that hotel, beer and liquor tax until 2035 in Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties or something to pay for the upgrades. Patterson is now looking to extend the tax ONLY for Oakland County, and pay for the upgrades to a viable building.

This is going to be ugly.

Angry Dad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thefishwrap View Post
    I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the thinking is the current legislation that the Detroit City Council rejected would have extended that hotel, beer and liquor tax until 2035 in Oakland, Macomb and Wayne counties or something to pay for the upgrades. Patterson is now looking to extend the tax ONLY for Oakland County, and pay for the upgrades to a viable building.

This is going to be ugly.
    Already is ugly.

Politicians fighting only results in one thing, the public loses.

Would eminent domain power [[as recently constrained) allow the City to take the 7-acre parcel at Gratiot and I-375? I would think that a convention center owned by the city is a public purpose in anyone's book.

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    Would eminent domain power [[as recently constrained) allow the City to take the 7-acre parcel at Gratiot and I-375? I would think that a convention center owned by the city is a public purpose in anyone's book.
    Or the old Packard for that matter... That would help that neck of the woods out quite a bit I would think...

"Can someone please explain to me why the ruling was so clear from the get-go?"

This was discussed on a thread on the old board. The language in the state law clearly gives the Council the authority to reject the legislation. There's also court cases and Attorney General opinions that deal with this very issue and reject the Mayor's position that he can veto the council's action. Once I read the court cases, it was clear that the Mayor was going to lose.

"Patterson is now looking to extend the tax ONLY for Oakland County, and pay for the upgrades to a viable building."

That's probably not going to raise enough money to do the task. As I stated before, there's no building in Oakland County large enough to host the Auto Show today. Even if you converted or expanded an existing building, what business are you going to attract for the other 11 months of the year to help cover the operating costs that would come with a building that size? Where are you going to find the hotel rooms or the transportation to support shows that large? Not one person has been able to answer those questions which tells me that none of these proposals are serious or that anyone is thinking beyond a "Bleep Detroit and Monica!" position.

While there may not be a space for the OC to host the Auto Show, I will not cry for city if/when the show is relocated to Oakland County. It's the Council's fault for not supporting an accord that was disliked by all, but everyone had to deal with it.