Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Had some nasty experiences with Spirit. I'll never fly them again for a number of reasons, including the fact that if you try to contact them by telephone, you get Ghandi in India who spik no Inglis. I also don't like to do business with airlines that fly French planes [[Airbus) or that charge for luggage. Future flights I'm staying with Southwest.
    That's funny. Until very recently [[like in the past 2 years), Spirit's customer service call center was based in the Detroit area.

ETA: And Southwest must be the only major airline in the western world that doesn't use Airbus planes...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

ETA: And Southwest must be the only major airline in the western world that doesn't use Airbus planes...
    That's part of their success. They fly Boeing 737s exclusively. This means only one accumulation of aircraft parts for repair/replacement instead of a half dozen types for multiple aircraft.

Hey, I'm a devout non-import car buyer. By the same token, I'll support airlines that "Buy American".....Boeing, rather than Airbus. Screw the French.

Unfortunately, Spirit closed the call center here. Their first subcontractor went bankrupt. One was from India, the other from the Phillipines [[Hint: try to avoid the call center at all costs).

Online is the only way to go with Spirit. If that fails, write, fax, email, or call an actual person down in Miramar. The call center cannot handle many tasks, and you can rarely even get through to them. The one success I had was by calling the Spanish line.

Spirit has its quirks and its issues. For those who don't know the system, it is fraught with frustrations and disappointments.

Still, I look back at all the trips I have taken from Detroit [[or brought friends and family to Detroit) at $120 or less r/t per person non-stop, they have been one of the good things in my life the last ten years or so.

LA for 6 $119 r/t each
    LA $85/rt
    Tampa $60 r/t
    Tampa $99 r/t
    Tampa $50 r/t
    Tampa $65 r/t
    SF $95 r/t
    and about 20 trips to NYC for between $20 and $100 r/t....

If your dates are flexible, these trips are readily available with the $9 fare club. Also, we have made numerous peak trips on Spirit at a higher price, especially to Fort Lauderdale and New York......

Now everyone charges for checked bags, but Southwest. Southwest would be my choice for places that Spirit does not fly [[Southwest also allow free changes on trips which noone else does).

Southwest's prices have been inching upwards, however, and from Detroit, many cities are not that cheap or convenient on Southwest if Spirit also flies the route......