Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
I didn't vote for Trump, but I agree with him about the "many sides," bit. I saw video of two groups of idiots hitting each other; I don't condone violent protests, even if they are for a morally superior cause.

As for the statues, your argument is that the Confederate statues represent a morally inferior sentiment, because of the slavery stance by the Confederacy. This sort of proves my point. The Confederacy stood for lots of things, but you zoom in and say it stood [[most singularly) for slavery. That's the side you see. But, if you are a southerner, who's family was tangled up in the war, you might see it standing for something quite different. Heritage? Self-determination? Valor? I get that you don't agree with those sentiments, but, surely, people are apt to feel that way about soldiers in the south, too. Both slavery and valor can be embodied by the same statue, and you get to choose which you see and which you prioritize.

Think about the fact we have a Jefferson Davis statue under the capital dome. What more conciliatory act could there be for a nation seeking to reunite with a segment of its own people who have rebelled against it? Its a way of saying, "Hey, we didn't agree with you, and went to war with you over it, but you are Americans, too, and we honor the positive values you demonstrated [[standing up for your beliefs, i.e.), even while we militarily opposed the values we did not agree with [[slavery). This is history, and I think we are much better off for seeing it than for hiding it away or replacing it with new narratives.
The problem with this is that the confederacy didn't stand for multiple things, it stood for slavery. https://www.civilwar.org/learn/prima...eceding-states

Lost Cause historical revisionism [[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_C...he_Confederacy) would have you think that it was about all kinds of honorable things but it was really just exclusively about slavery. The new narratives you're hearing are more than likely the historically accurate ones.