Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    While I am confident that some significant redevelopment will come to the Eastland Center area in Harper Woods [[there are successful retailers in the area -- Lowes, Home Depot, Target) the rapid deterioration of the mall itself is having the inevitable effect on the surrounding area/outlots. Prior to the closure of Macy's, Chili's [[fronting on Vernier) closed [[less than a year after a full-scale renovation) as did the Bank of America branch at 8 Mile and Kelly. Since the closure of Macy's, Applebee's has closed in the outlot as has Walgreen's [[across 8 Mile) and Citizens Bank [[across Vernier). Notably this Applebee's is the location where, a few years ago, I came out of the restaurant with my wife to find the occupant of the car parked next to us draining his bladder beside my truck leaving a pool of urine beside my driver's door. Last time I went there. Another minor curiosity, Eastland has finally removed the 'macy*s' signage from the large signs surrounding the property -- however the sign next to the side entrance on Kelly still says Marshall Field's.
    I didn't even know that the Applebee's was shuttered. I only go to Eastland for K&G Fashion [[which isn't often).

The Lowe's and Home Depot seem to be the only places over there doing well. Target's still hanging in there, but the extremely high rate of shrinkage at that location has been discussed quite a bit on this forum, so one has to wonder how much longer they'll stick around.

Eastland has been in receivership for quite some time now, so Target leaving would probably be the final nail in the coffin.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-08-17 at 06:15 PM.