Years ago,I am thinking late 90s early 2000,cities like St Cloud Fl which was touted as having the best city wide wi-fi excess in the country,actually had wireless excess for the entire city verses this form of persey hot spots.

You had to be by a window or sitting on the front porch but it was advailable for all.It lasted for about a year before being discontinued,same as the city of Kissimmee.

Rural is as of now either DSL or dish and because the telecoms have been cleared to deactivate the copper lines,which would only leave Spotty Dish for phone and Internet service,which kills emergency contact.

The push is for rural broadband which is very expensive for the companies because of a small costumer base and cost to implement.

City wide wi-fi was paid through property taxes but you figure the massive pushback and lobbying by service providers probably had a lot to do with the discontinuation of it.

Japan has had a little 6" dish that you put on the kitchen window ledge that pulls in over 200 free tv channels and wi-fi for over 20 years.

It can be done but obviously because of the providers there is a problem,but because everything is becoming internet based,government,job applications etc. they are going to have to provide a solution.

Funny how my friend in the U.K. Can call me international on his land line for free, but in this country they still charge.