Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Yes, the 1967 riots had a lot to do with that. But the rate accelerated exponentially after '74.

ziggyselbin Guest

I would take issue as well with his rather cavalier views of Wayne State and education[[higher)_ no mention of UDM a fine institution. And WSU has educated countless Michiganians that have stayed and made the area better.

And the DIA is certainly on par with most other big city institutes. It is a matter of opinion what one prefers. The same applies to the DSO; the recordings on mercury living presence with Paul Paray are highly prized as well as those done later with Dorati at the United artists theater.

Coleman Young gets a bad rap. Detroit should be so lucky to have a mayor these days like Mayor young. I question whether many of you are old enough to remember young or just aping what you have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    Coleman Young gets a bad rap. Detroit should be so lucky to have a mayor these days like Mayor young. I question whether many of you are old enough to remember young or just aping what you have been told.
    No aping here. I lived through it and saw what my parents lost in property value during the Young era. They were forced to cut their losses and run as the neighborhood I lived in went from a place where it was actually safe to walk the streets at night to a place where it became common to hear gunshots from a drug house down the block. When I bought my first house I made sure to buy in an area with a strong and responsive police force where criminals still go to jail no matter what their race - Grosse Pointe Woods. After both my grandparents and my parents lost out in Detroit, I wound up being the first in the family to actually make money on real estate.
    Last edited by EMG; August-06-09 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    The same applies to the DSO; the recordings on mercury living presence with Paul Paray are highly prized as well as those done later with Dorati at the United artists theater.
    Amen! I am also a classical music fan and have some great recordings by the DSO with Dorati, including one of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture which as far as I am concerned is the standard by which all others shall be judged - and I've yet to hear one which comes to a more rousing ending.

And I have also yet to find a performance of the Nutcracker ballet which I've liked as much as the Detroit ones I used to see in the 80's.
    Last edited by EMG; August-06-09 at 08:47 PM.