Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I'm so excited. They finally have a head coach whose name doesn't begin with M. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Olddetroiter View Post
    I'm so excited. They finally have a head coach whose name doesn't begin with M. Anything else is just icing on the cake.
    Something else I've noticed too about Schwartz- he isn't exactly the egocentric sort of guy that says too many outlandish things that end up as sound bytes on sports talk radio shows. I think back to some of the stupid remarks that come of the previous coaches have said, such as Marty Morningwheg's "The bar is high", Rod Marinelli's "pounding the rock", and others... all of these were said even before the Lions played a single game for them.

Is it Schwartz' savvy around the media? Is he actually that bright? It also makes me wonder because I really can't remember Steve Mariucci having said anything profoundly stupid during his tenure here. Granted he wasn't here that long.

But just on a intelligence scale with the media so far, Jim Schwartz has seemed to have done okay. Once the season starts and unfolds... who knows? He might be foaming at the mouth and saying even more outlandish things than his predecessors. I figure frustration can do that to a man.

So yeah, wanna add to the pre-season hype a little bit? Sure, Jim Schwartz has impressed me so far with his media savvy and his choice words around a microphone.

He did graduate from Georgetown with honors.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Something else I've noticed too about Schwartz- he isn't exactly the egocentric sort of guy that says too many outlandish things that end up as sound bytes on sports talk radio shows. I think back to some of the stupid remarks that come of the previous coaches have said, such as Marty Morningwheg's "The bar is high", Rod Marinelli's "pounding the rock", and others... all of these were said even before the Lions played a single game for them.

Is it Schwartz' savvy around the media? Is he actually that bright? It also makes me wonder because I really can't remember Steve Mariucci having said anything profoundly stupid during his tenure here. Granted he wasn't here that long.

But just on a intelligence scale with the media so far, Jim Schwartz has seemed to have done okay. Once the season starts and unfolds... who knows? He might be foaming at the mouth and saying even more outlandish things than his predecessors. I figure frustration can do that to a man.

So yeah, wanna add to the pre-season hype a little bit? Sure, Jim Schwartz has impressed me so far with his media savvy and his choice words around a microphone.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    He did graduate from Georgetown with honors.
    I don't know if smogboy was alluding to this or not, but there was some concern in the hiring process that he always needed to prove he was the smartest guy in the room. I agree, he has come across as very sharp in all the right ways. Even when that criticism was being leveled, I was skeptical. I'd much rather have the smart guy who knows it than the dumb guy who is oblivious to his own ineptitude.

As with all pro coaches, he'll be judged on his record. But I like his style so far.

15,387 showed up for a pre-season practice session?

I guess that just goes to show you how rabid some of the Lions faithful are.

The proof is in the pudding ... which I expect will be delicious as I watch the game from my "all-you-can-eat seat" ... at home, where I won't need to wear a paper bag over my head.

Ah, a nice cold drink of cool-aid on a hot summers day. It's kinda' hard not to take a drink when you are sooooooo thirsty.

DeVries is out for the season. I think his career is over. Hope I'm wrong.

Pretty sure the Lions don't get any cap relief from this either.