Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

At the risk of taking the tread off track, as I contemplate how many Milwaukee residents have had their licenses revoked, I have to imagine it's a major inconvenience to not be able to drive there.

And as I wonder how it's possible such a high percentage have lost their license, I can't help but remember how Philando Castile was pulled over while driving at least 49 times in Minnesota before he was killed when it happened again, for the 50th time.

Philando Castile Was Pulled Over 49 Times in 13 Years, Often for Minor Infractions

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/17/us...fic-stops.html

The magnitude of the bias african-americans sometimes encounter behind the wheel was hard for me to understand until I came to know very well a true patriot, an african-american member of the board of directors at one of our five military academies. I developed more empathy after learning about some of his own encounters, even as he drove luxury cars wearing business attire. I should have known better growing up as I did in Grosse Pointe a few decades ago: it was impossible not to see it happening all the time.

As we discuss voter ID laws it's relevant to consider whether all americans truly have equal access to valid IDs. I suggest the "driving while black" phenomenon is one more reason among many why perhaps not all americans do.

I think we've made great strides as a just society. But I think it would be wrong to believe we don't still have some way left to go.
    Last edited by bust; August-19-16 at 02:29 PM.