I have traveled to 10 frozen fours in the last 30 years including the three held in Detroit and I can say that while the impact from media exposure is significantly less than other sports, the financial boost to hotel and restaurants is absolutely measureable.

The unique part about the Frozen Four vs the Final Four or even the CFP is that the Frozen Four has a huge following from fans of teams that are not even playing in the tournament. At the 2007 Frozen Four in St. Louis and again at the 2010 event at Ford Field, I was able to identify a jersey from every single division 1 program. People who follow college hockey make this annual pilgrimage regardless of the quality of their team. This makes it fairly unique amongst college sporting events.

So the hotels and restaurants will be boosted by 20,000+ visitors for a Wednesday-Sunday schedule and visitors will be going home to 60 different cities around the country and telling their friends and family about their experience. To me this makes it a worthwhile event to throw in a bid for.