Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
Yahoo is a $25 billion [[market capitalization) company. From a shareholder's perspective, Yahoo stake in the Chinese e-commerce leader Alibaba is worth ~ $25 billion alone; meaning most of its other assets are worth a small fraction of that. Yahoo is still one of the top digital advertising businesses in the world, and is worth a great deal to potential buyers, particularly those in the telecom market who are looking to build out their ad tech portfolios. Yahoo’s portfolio consists of Gemini, the integrated pieces of Brightroll and Flurry, along with their $1 billion acquisition of Tumblr. Gemini, Brightroll and Flurry are used to deliver ads across the web and mobile devices, while as everyone knows Tumblr is a widely used blogging platform.
The question is how much [[or how little) is the Yahoo board willing to go to sell the business; and which parts of Yahoo are included in the sale. Does the price tag include Yahoo's core business, its cash on hand – $7 billion, its stakes in Alibaba, and Yahoo Japan? If Yahoo sells between $4 and $8 billion, it wouldn’t include the cash on hand. If the sale price is closer to $4 billion to $5 billion I would assume it would exclude real estate, cash, intellectual property, and its Asian assets.
Ok, so we are in agreement that Buffett wouldn't buy a company unless he saw value in it. In Yahoo's case, it's losing money, but I have no doubt that Buffett has a realistic plan to make it profitable again.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
AT&T and Verizon announced they would allow content providers to sponsor content on users' phones, meaning providers pay for the data consumers use to get their content, otherwise known as advertising, in front of users' eyeballs. Those types of initiatives create a market for Yahoo.
All this stuff can be done over the Internet from Silicon Valley or even India. I still don't see why Buffett's plan to turn around this company [[if his group of investors bought Yahoo or a segment of it) would include relocating jobs from Silicon Valley to Detroit.