Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by RageRoolz View Post
    That's one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Do you honestly believe that or do you only worry about being right on an internet message board?
    If you think that homeowners wanting to preserve their equity in their primary investment is "one of the dumbest things you have ever read", then you certainly have a unique perspective on life.

99.9% of people will disagree with your perspective. Homeowners are self-interested and about the least unbiased people you could find re. their relative neighborhood quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by RageRoolz View Post
    T
    Want to know what the Iraq war was like? Don't ask any vets who were deployed there.
    Now THAT is about the dumbest thing I have read on DYes. I guessing analogies aren't your strong point?

Iraq vets don't have their net worth tied up in their perspective of the Iraq War, therefore there is no financial self interest coloring their opinions of war. Your other attempts at analogies are similarly ridiculous.

An appropriate analogy would be whether or not a Mom is an unbiased judge of her child. Of course not. She has a huge vested interest in her child.

And you don't even get that your insult-filled response is exactly what people are talking about. You're attacking anyone who disagrees with some sort of manufactured narrative about EEV, because you're trying to preserve equity. That's fine, but it makes you an awfully poor judge of relative neighborhood quality.
    Last edited by Bham1982; May-02-16 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If you think that homeowners wanting to preserve their equity in their primary investment is "one of the dumbest things you have ever read", then you certainly have a unique perspective on life.

99.9% of people will disagree with your perspective. Homeowners are self-interested and about the least unbiased people you could find re. their relative neighborhood quality.

Now THAT is about the dumbest thing I have read on DYes. I guessing analogies aren't your strong point?

Iraq vets don't have their net worth tied up in their perspective of the Iraq War, therefore there is no financial self interest coloring their opinions of war. Your other attempts at analogies are similarly ridiculous.

An appropriate analogy would be whether or not a Mom is an unbiased judge of her child. Of course not. She has a huge vested interest in her child.

And you don't even get that your insult-filled response is exactly what people are talking about. You're attacking anyone who disagrees with some sort of manufactured narrative about EEV, because you're trying to preserve equity. That's fine, but it makes you an awfully poor judge of relative neighborhood quality.
    1. Reading comprehension is your friend. I am not saying anything about preserving equity. I am saying that people who live in the area will be able to give him a better idea of what it is like to LIVE IN THE AREA. Of course because I live in the area I want it to get better and I want my home's value to increase. That does not make me incapable of giving solid advice. In fact I am MORE SUITED TO because I myself went through the EXACT SAME THING AS HIM and now live here. I know his concerns[[I had the same ones when I was shopping for a house. Again, I'm not saying that this area is perfect for everyone) and I have actual experience living in the area. I don't know if you're trolling me or you really missed my entire point. [[I think troll because everything you say is negative. I didn't intend to fall into a name-calling match but you literally never have anything good to say about the city. Whenever you espouse your opinion and someone proves you wrong you just ignore it.)
    2. if you don't think vets have a part of themselves tied into the perception of the war you don't know many vets. No self interest coloring their perceptions of the war? Come on. It's not a perfect analogy but the point is that people who lived it know more than people who read about it in the paper. You're making all these judgments about the area because of what? FOX 2 News? And claiming that YOUR opinion would somehow be more relevant to the OP? We can use your analogy of the mother child. Is it colored by some sort of bias? Of course. However it isn't like she couldn't objectively tell you how smart he is. If you have kids you would know what I'm talking about. You may love them all irrationally, but you KNOW if one of them is intelligent or not. Parents still love their dumb kids, but not many of those same parents would act like they birthed Einstein.
    3. I'm not disagreeing with you because I want to preserve equity. Read my previous posts. I'd love for my neighborhood to get better and my house to be worth more. However I am also realistic and posted both the pro's and the con's of the area. There is a poster on here who has nothing but NEGATIVE things to say about their neighborhood. I forget the username but I could search and find it.

Your point just doesn't hold water. I understand where you are coming from and I agree that homeowners could have some "skin in the game" so to speak. Also your 99.9% comment is wonderfully made up and easy enough to disprove. Find something in my posts that was all sunshine and rainbows about my neighborhood. Something indicating I am describing my neighborhood in an extra flattering or untrue manner merely for personal gain. I said there is crime here. I said I wouldn't raise kids here. I stand by my opinion that it is a great spot for someone in the OP's situation and I know of other people who are moving into the area who are probably at a similar point in their lives. It makes a lot of sense for certain people. If you are childless and work downtown you can do a lot worse than EEV and the trend in the area seems to be going in a positive direction.

Lets see if people actually agree with you or me. I believe the issue at point is
    "Who will give you more reliable information about a given area: People who live/lived there or people who have probably never set foot there"