Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
Just for the sake of clarity, this is strictly SmithGroup's vision on how to utilize the east riverfront, correct? There is absolutely no investment/money/dedicated development tied to these plans, but is just a guideline based on their vision and community input?

This also gets me thinking about the Uniroyal site. Does Jerome Bettis and his partners still have plans to develop the site? It's been all quiet on that front for some time now. I'm not sure if the city needs to send out another RFP or Bettis still owns the award to develop it. Remediation of those two parcels hasn't even been finalized yet, so I'd imagine it will still be several years before that section can even be considered for that development.

This is the last article I can find on the Bettis group and their award to develop the site.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...s-people-river
It is going to be the vision of SOM [[Skidmore Owings Merrill) but last night was the first of many community based meetings to see what the community is looking for and pairing that with what their design and strategy team comes up with. There is a financial aspect to it where they will be looking at getting grants and subsidies, so it may have more teeth than just a study. The part that I can see being implemented is what their landscape architect comes up with when it comes to more green space in the area and how the spaces are experienced by residents and visitors.

The other parts from what I have gathered are much more of a guideline for buildings and transit in the area.

casscorridor - It is hard to take into account all the views if you take high rise construction off the board. I want to see a dense district with it's own character and I think high-rises can help that along. Waterfronts all across the world are dotted with high-rises because that is what people like near the water, Detroit should be no different in this regard. If it weren't for a history of industrial use where the current East Riverfront area is the high-rises you see east of Belle Isle would be closer to downtown.