We also live in EEV. A $20,000 appraisal is nuts. Two years ago, we had 13 homes in foreclosure on our block alone. All sold for well over $20,000. Happy for us that all new owners have invested significant sums in home updates. Only one nutter in the bunch!

Our home, bought by my parents in 1965 was $18,000. Mom is still alive so taxes are very low compared to others. We have watched property values go up and down for decades. EEV has stayed a very stable and desirable community. 16 years ago our property was valued at 140k. Now it would probably come in at 60k. It is a modest but very well maintained colonial.

I agree with Lowell, take the assessment and get your taxes reduced. After all, new home buyers can take advantage of NEZ tax breaks. Capitalize on this accessment if you can.

Glad you are in for the long haul. I do assure you that your house will go way up once again in value with an improvement in the economy.

Always good to chat with a neighbor.

For those who don't know EEV. We have a tremendous community organization. We get better than average police response. Our streets get cleaned, the dead Ash trees were removed and replaced with new trees. Streets were recently repaved and we even have weekly curb side recycling. Low crime and great neighbors, young and old. Super diversity.