Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Te people that live on Harsen's Island year around and the summer cottagers there do not want Harsen's Island to be a "tourist destination". They do not want to become another Belle Isle. They do not need a stream of cars driving around the island.
    Legit concerns by the residents no doubt. But isn't it well documented that the ferry owner has told the city counsel and residents that he wants to retire and the ferry service will cease?

And although there are legit concerns presented by the residents who oppose the bridge, the justification that it going to destroy a neighborhood seems to be a stretch. According to the proposal, the bridge would run between two undeveloped plots of land. So I don't see how it's destroying that area.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Legit concerns by the residents no doubt. But isn't it well documented that the ferry owner has told the city counsel and residents that he wants to retire and the ferry service will cease?
    This seems like a non-issue to me. This guy has a lock on the ferry business to Harsen's Island, wants to retire, and NO ONE wants to buy this business? I find that kind of hard to believe. As far as Harsen's residents go, I don't think you're going to find too many stranded captives there. People chose to move and live on that island like they do for a reason. They should have the final say whether or not they want their lifestyle altered. Oh, and check the ID of every person voting to make sure they're actually residents.