Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Piedmont train in NC carries 466 passengers on an average weekday. Not exactly a compelling case for massive rail investment in MI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_[[train)
    OMG the Wikipedia page I didn't think to look there or also the Amtrak website. Your micro-analyzing of numbers is neither here nor their considering both the number of passengers and the revenue has risen dramatically from 2009-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    OMG the Wikipedia page I didn't think to look there or also the Amtrak website. Your micro-analyzing of numbers is neither here nor their considering both the number of passengers and the revenue has risen dramatically from 2009-2014.
    You were the one who brought up the Piedmont train as some shining model to aspire to.

It basically has a daily passenger load less than the number of people I pass on the street when getting coffee in the AM. Doesn't sound like there's some pressing need for a billion-dollar train to accomodate a few subway cars worth of people. I-96 will have more people in a minute than this choo choo gets all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You were the one who brought up the Piedmont train as some shining model to aspire to.

It basically has a daily passenger load less than the number of people I pass on the street when getting coffee in the AM. Doesn't sound like there's some pressing need for a billion-dollar train to accomodate a few subway cars worth of people. I-96 will have more people in a minute than this choo choo gets all day.
    I didn't say we should aspire to it, I'm saying we should use it as the best comparable case study for intra-state passenger rail.

The car will always rule, there's no doubt about that, but I think this serves a good purpose to diversify transportation options within the state to travel. But more studies are indeed needed and this could be years out if at all.