23 February

P1. Art/Culture: Born in Hamburg in 1901, he was a surrealist painter forbidden by the Nazis to paint or
exhibit his “degenerate” works. They made him operate anti-aircraft artillery instead. He is the
father of the author of The Neverending Story. Hint: What World War I was supposed to be.
A. Salvatore Dali B. Edgar Ende C. Max Ernst D. René Magritte

P2. Geography: In 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins [[and ends) in what city? Hint: As no nation!
A. Austin B. San Antonio C. Laredo D. Houston

P3. History/Politics: Born in Chicago in 1904, a foreign correspondent for the Chicago Tribune before
Edward R. Murrow hired him for his CBS radio team. Early in World War II, he broadcast from
Berlin. Out of it came his seminal work The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Hint: Diffident.
A. Howard K. Smith B. William Shirer C. Sigfrid Schulz D. Ernie Pyle

4. Language: Allegheny, PA, 1857, a charming—though now mostly forgotten--poet:Deep in a Rose's
glowing heart /I dropped a single kiss, /And then I bade it quick depart,/ And tell my Lady
this:/ “The love thy Lover tried to send / O'erflows my fragrant bowl,/ But my soft/ leaves
would break and bend,/ Should he send half the whole!” Hint: Hint: Perry’s secretary.
A. Helen Hunt Jackson B. Margaret Deland C. Alice Duer Miller D. Elinor Wylie

P5. Literature: Born in London in 1633, he was a naval administrator who brought needed reforms, but
he is remembered today for keeping a diary from 1660 to 1669, shedding light on the English
Restoration, providing eye-witness accounts of The Great Fire of London, The Great Plague of
London, and chronicling the daily life of the times. Hint: Wally Cox teacher.
A. Thomas Hobbs B. Francis Bacon C. Samuel Pepys D. George Herbert

P6. Music: Born in the Duchy of Magdeburg, Prussia [[now Germany), in 1685, the same year as Bach &
Scarlatti, his father forbade him any musical instrument. He was to be a lawyer. Fortunately,
it didn’t work. He moved to London, along the way becoming one of the great Barogue
composers. Even the king stood up for his music. Hint: The reason Dylan’s pump doesn’t work.
A. Edward Elgar B. Gustav Mahler C. Joseph Haydn D. George Frideric Handel

P7. People: Cedar Rapids, 1944, writer of grim mysteries with Prey in the titles. Hint: Shoes off!
A. Tom Clancy B. James Lee Burke C. John Sandford D. James Patterson

P8. Potluck: He piloted the B-29 that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima. In 1976, for yucks, he re-enacted
the bombing at an air show in Texas. Hint: Brave Dallas police officer.
A. Homer Buerlein B. Paul Tibbets, Jr. C. Harry Buller D. Chuck Yeager

P9. Quotations: Born in Great Barrington, MA, in 1868, after a Ph.D. at Harvard, he was a co-founder of
the NAACP. “The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression.” Hint: Parisian Park
A. W.E.B. du Bois B. Jim Clyburn C. Frederick Douglass D. Bayard Rustin

P10. Science: Born in Johannesburg in 1924, he won the medicine Nobel in 1979 for his work with
computer tomography, basically 3-D X-rays. Hint: I’ve looked at life from all sides now.
A. Alan MacLeod Cormack B. Baruj Benacerraf C. David H. Hubel D. Daniel Nathans

P11. Sports/Games: Born in St. Louis in 1929, he was the first African-American on the Yankee roster [[in
1955). His 20 year career was mostly as a Gold Glove catcher. In 1963, he became the first Black
player to win the AL MVP award. Hint: Distinguished University in Washington, D.C.
A. Roy Campanella B. Bill Dickey C. Josh Gibson D. Elston Howard

P12. Screen: Flintridge, CA, 1889, directed Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz! Hint: Danish comedian
A. Billy Wilder B. Sidney Lumet C. Victor Fleming D. John Huston

P13. Extra Credit: What was the name of the plane that dropped the bomb on Hiroshima?
A. Butcher Shop B. Red Gremlin C. Enola Gay D. Little Boy

Answers: 1B; 2B; 3B; 4B; 5C; 6D; 7C; 8B; 9A; 10A; 11D; 12C; 13C