Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
It could be my trust is misallocated, but I doubt Windsor/Ontario/Ottawa will so easily acquiesce to shallow PR propaganda [[and whatever backroom overtures occur unreported) as may happen in Detroit/Michigan/D.C..
Ahh... but could they be open to a "co-operative venture"? When I read the "as Moroun sees it..." below, I can read between the lines and see that the Moroun family will be offering to manage/run the new bridge operations as a model of "efficiency" [[they do have "experience") and will likely guarantee the Canadian Government an early pay back of their investment. Possibly, they'll offer to buy some type of bonds form Canada, putting $$$$$$$$$$$ of the family fortune into the project as a means of gaining a sizable share and keeping the Moroun dynasty going for a few more generations.

“The Windsor-Detroit border can be a shining example of efficiency and co-operation,” said Moroun’s son, Matthew, in an email to the Star.

“I’m inspired by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s desire to take a new look and a fresh approach to fix old problems. This situation is just such a problem.

Matthew Moroun, in his email, sees it differently.

“Our company and the Harper government spent the last decade fighting unproductively,” he wrote. “Our position was that the Ambassador could be the only bridge. The former government’s position was that their ‘bridge-to-be’ would be able to pay back the taxpayers for the billions of dollars to construct it — even if Canada paid for the U.S. portion.

“We were both wrong and unnecessarily strident.”

He said his company “severely underestimated” the importance of the Windsor-Detroit border crossing to Canada and “the Harper government refused to open its eyes to the fact that actual traffic and toll revenues were only a fraction of the ridiculous projections required to pay back taxpayers.”