Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Sure, but a white hot boom nevertheless, it is now feeding on itself. On a rainy gray day in January, you can feel, see and hear it walking around downtown like never in my life time. People everywhere working, commuting, filling lunch spots, parking spots and businesses. Entry level jobs for young people, students, or people turning their life around growing right in the center of the city. Opportunity, to steal Dan's word, there is money to be made for the educated, risk takers and the hardworking.

Residents are coming to certain zip codes and their numbers are swelling. With them come more of everything; markets, shops, restaurants. Soon, more dentists, daycares and all kinds of services.

Detroit has become a destination for people living in its own suburbs like never before in the last 50 years. The boom is here. Now the only real question is where will it spread next? Up Jefferson? out Gratiot or the north end? That is all open for debate, hell the M-1 is still over a year from running...
    This is a classic example of different people experiencing different things. Please allow me to give you a couple of examples: My first example was 1 month ago when a friend who moved elsewhere and had read and heard all the hype asked me to,"show me all this stuff I've been hearing about. I want to see it all." Keep in mind it was a beautiful day nearing the end of a work week during lunch hour. After a drive and walk of "everything" one could possibly see in and near Downtown, Midtown and Corktown that included several chuckles the friend simply said,"other than a few new restaurants and your standard yoga and coffee shop found on every corner in any city this place is still shockingly quiet and hasn't changed a bit in 10 years." My second example is summed up by a different friend recently who while walking around in prime Gilbert territory simply said,"I guess a few billion bucks doesn't go as far as it used to..." Not necessarily your truth or mine but those are honest reactions.
    Last edited by TTime; January-08-16 at 07:31 PM.